RHSA-2004:413 - Security Advisory
kernel security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated kernel packages that fix several security issues in Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 3 are now available.
The Linux kernel handles the basic functions of the operating system.
Paul Starzetz discovered flaws in the Linux kernel when handling file
offset pointers. These consist of invalid conversions of 64 to 32-bit file
offset pointers and possible race conditions. A local unprivileged user
could make use of these flaws to access large portions of kernel memory.
The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has
assigned the name CAN-2004-0415 to this issue.
These packages contain a patch written by Al Viro to correct these flaws.
Red Hat would like to thank iSEC Security Research for disclosing this
issue and a number of vendor-sec participants for reviewing and working on
the patch to this issue.
In addition, these packages correct a number of minor security issues:
An bug in the e1000 network driver. This bug could be used by local users
to leak small amounts of kernel memory (CAN-2004-0535).
A bug in the SoundBlaster 16 code which does not properly handle certain
sample sizes. This flaw could be used by local users to crash a system
A possible NULL-pointer dereference in the Linux kernel prior to 2.4.26 on
the Itanium platform could allow a local user to crash a system
Inappropriate permissions on /proc/scsi/qla2300/HbaApiNode (CAN-2004-0587).
All Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 users are advised to upgrade their
kernels to the packages associated with their machine architectures
and configurations as listed in this erratum.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 120527 - CAN-2004-0447 [PATCH] IPF kernel crashes under gdb
- BZ - 121045 - CAN-2004-0178 Soundblaster 16 local DoS
- BZ - 125168 - CAN-2004-0535 e1000 kernel memory information leak
- BZ - 126396 - CAN-2004-0587 Bad permissions on qla* drivers
This erratum does not contain any packages.