RHSA-2004:409 - Security Advisory
sox security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated sox packages that fix buffer overflows in the WAV file handling
code are now available.
SoX (Sound eXchange) is a sound file format converter. SoX can convert
between many different digitized sound formats and perform simple sound
manipulation functions, including sound effects.
Buffer overflows existed in the parsing of WAV file header fields. It was
possible that a malicious WAV file could have caused arbitrary code to be
executed when the file was played or converted. The Common Vulnerabilities
and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2004-0557
to these issues.
All users of sox should upgrade to these updated packages, which resolve
these issues as well as fix a number of minor bugs.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 79151 - largefile support missing
- BZ - 91144 - SoX's soxplay doesn't except paths containg spaces
- BZ - 102499 - sox RPM does not install soxmix
- BZ - 127502 - -r option dumps core on x86_64
This erratum does not contain any packages.