RHSA-2004:402 - Security Advisory
libpng security update
Security Advisory: Critical
Updated libpng packages that fix several issues are now available.
The libpng package contains a library of functions for creating and
manipulating PNG (Portable Network Graphics) image format files.
During a source code audit, Chris Evans discovered several buffer overflows
in libpng. An attacker could create a carefully crafted PNG file in such a
way that it would cause an application linked with libpng to execute
arbitrary code when the file was opened by a victim. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name
CAN-2004-0597 to these issues.
In addition, this audit discovered a potential NULL pointer dereference in
libpng (CAN-2004-0598) and several integer overflow issues (CAN-2004-0599).
An attacker could create a carefully crafted PNG file in such a way that
it would cause an application linked with libpng to crash when the file was
opened by the victim.
Red Hat would like to thank Chris Evans for discovering these issues.
For users of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 these patches also include a more
complete fix for the out of bounds memory access flaw (CAN-2002-1363).
All users are advised to update to the updated libpng packages which
contain backported security patches and are not vulnerable to these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
This erratum does not contain any packages.