RHSA-2004:249 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Important
Updated libpng packages that fix a possible buffer overflow are now available.
The libpng package contains a library of functions for creating and
manipulating PNG (Portable Network Graphics) image format files.
During an audit of Red Hat Linux updates, the Fedora Legacy team found a
security issue in libpng that had not been fixed in Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 3. An attacker could carefully craft a PNG file in such a way that
it would cause an application linked to libpng to crash or potentially
execute arbitrary code when opened by a victim.
Note: this issue does not affect Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1
Users are advised to upgrade to these updated packages that contain a
backported security fix and are not vulnerable to this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
To update all RPMs for your particular architecture, run:
rpm -Fvh [filenames]
where [filenames] is a list of the RPMs you wish to upgrade. Only those
RPMs which are currently installed will be updated. Those RPMs which are
not installed but included in the list will not be updated. Note that you
can also use wildcards (*.rpm) if your current directory *only* contains the
Please note that this update is also available via Red Hat Network. Many
people find this an easier way to apply updates. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
If up2date fails to connect to Red Hat Network due to SSL
Certificate Errors, you need to install a version of the
up2date client with an updated certificate. The latest version of
up2date is available from the Red Hat FTP site and may also be
downloaded directly from the RHN website:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc