RHSA-2004:242 - Security Advisory
Security Advisory: Moderate
An updated squid package that fixes a security vulnerability in
the NTLM authentication helper is now available.
Squid is a full-featured Web proxy cache.
A buffer overflow was found within the NTLM authentication helper
routine. If Squid is configured to use the NTLM authentication helper,
a remote attacker could potentially execute arbitrary code by sending a
lengthy password. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project
(cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2004-0541 to this issue.
Note: The NTLM authentication helper is not enabled by default in Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 3. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 is not vulnerable to this
issue as it shipped with a version of Squid which did not contain the helper.
Users of Squid should update to this errata package which contains a
backported patch that is not vulnerable to this issue.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
To update all RPMs for your particular architecture, run:
rpm -Fvh [filenames]
where [filenames] is a list of the RPMs you wish to upgrade. Only those
RPMs which are currently installed will be updated. Those RPMs which are
not installed but included in the list will not be updated. Note that you
can also use wildcards (*.rpm) if your current directory *only* contains the
Please note that this update is also available via Red Hat Network. Many
people find this an easier way to apply updates. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
If up2date fails to connect to Red Hat Network due to SSL
Certificate Errors, you need to install a version of the
up2date client with an updated certificate. The latest version of
up2date is available from the Red Hat FTP site and may also be
downloaded directly from the RHN website:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 125507 - CAN-2004-0541 Squid NTLM authentication helper overflow