RHSA-2004:190 - Security Advisory
cvs security update
Security Advisory: Critical
An updated cvs package that fixes a server vulnerability that could be
exploited by a malicious client is now available.
CVS is a version control system frequently used to manage source code
Stefan Esser discovered a flaw in cvs where malformed "Entry"
lines could cause a heap overflow. An attacker who has access to a CVS
server could use this flaw to execute arbitrary code under the UID which
the CVS server is executing. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2004-0396 to this issue.
Users of CVS are advised to upgrade to this updated package, which contains
a backported patch correcting this issue.
Red Hat would like to thank Stefan Esser for notifying us of this issue and
Derek Price for providing an updated patch.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
To update all RPMs for your particular architecture, run:
rpm -Fvh [filenames]
where [filenames] is a list of the RPMs you wish to upgrade. Only those
RPMs which are currently installed will be updated. Those RPMs which are
not installed but included in the list will not be updated. Note that you
can also use wildcards (*.rpm) if your current directory *only* contains the
Please note that this update is also available via Red Hat Network. Many
people find this an easier way to apply updates. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
If up2date fails to connect to Red Hat Network due to SSL
Certificate Errors, you need to install a version of the
up2date client with an updated certificate. The latest version of
up2date is available from the Red Hat FTP site and may also be
downloaded directly from the RHN website:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 122384 - CAN-2004-0396 CVS pserver heap overflow via Entry/Is-modified/Unchanged
This erratum does not contain any packages.