RHSA-2004:084 - Security Advisory
httpd security update
Security Advisory: Important
Updated httpd packages are now available that fix a denial of service
vulnerability in mod_ssl and include various other bug fixes.
The Apache HTTP server is a powerful, full-featured, efficient, and
freely-available Web server.
A memory leak in mod_ssl in the Apache HTTP Server prior to version 2.0.49
allows a remote denial of service attack against an SSL-enabled server. The
Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned
the name CAN-2004-0113 to this issue.
This update also includes various bug fixes, including:
- improvements to the mod_expires, mod_dav, mod_ssl and mod_proxy modules
- a fix for a bug causing core dumps during configuration parsing on the
- an updated version of mod_include fixing several edge cases in the SSI parser
Additionally, the mod_logio module is now included.
Users of the Apache HTTP server should upgrade to these updated packages,
which contain backported patches that address these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
To update all RPMs for your particular architecture, run:
rpm -Fvh [filenames]
where [filenames] is a list of the RPMs you wish to upgrade. Only those
RPMs which are currently installed will be updated. Those RPMs which are
not installed but included in the list will not be updated. Note that you
can also use wildcards (*.rpm) if your current directory *only* contains the
Please note that this update is also available via Red Hat Network. Many
people find this an easier way to apply updates. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 112771 - Invalid paths in config_vars.mk crash build of mod_jk
- BZ - 113929 - mod_expires headers not set when used in conjunction with mod_proxy
- BZ - 113934 - SRPMS: test for MMN version it too fragile
- BZ - 115328 - Satisfy keyword in httpd.conf causes apache to segfault on load
- BZ - 115379 - pcre conflict between httpd and php
- BZ - 117280 - CAN-2004-0113 mod_ssl Denial of Service attack
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3