RHSA-2003:177 - Security Advisory
Updated up2date and rhn_register clients available
Security Advisory: None
Updated versions of the rhn_register and up2date packages are now
available. The new packages include many bug fixes, and a few new features.
The rhn_register and up2date packages contain the software necessary to
take advantage of Red Hat Network functionality.
The up2date package incorporates improvements in handling package
dependencies and "obsoletes" processing, along with many other bug fixes.
This release also includes an updated RHNS-CA-CERT file, which contains an
additional CA certificate. This is needed so that up2date can continue to
communicate with Red Hat Network once the current CA certificate reaches
its August 2003 expiration date.
All users of Red Hat Network should therefore upgrade to these erratum
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
To update all RPMs for your particular architecture, run:
rpm -Fvh [filenames]
where [filenames] is a list of the RPMs you wish to upgrade. Only those
RPMs which are currently installed will be updated. Those RPMs which are
not installed but included in the list will not be updated. Note that you
can also use wildcards (*.rpm) if your current directory *only* contains the
Please note that this update is also available via Red Hat Network. Many
people find this an easier way to apply updates. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2 i386
- BZ - 53247 - up2date -u -nox fails
- BZ - 63301 - unknown signatures aren't warned
- BZ - 63484 - Can't only select skipped files
- BZ - 63907 - "Overrite" typo in up2date
- BZ - 63917 - "toverify" typo in up2date
- BZ - 63921 - "kb" for file sizes should probably be "kB"
- BZ - 64771 - Updating from 7.2 to 7.3 then using up2date yields 557 "outdated" packages in RHN
- BZ - 64791 - Typo in manpage of up2date
- BZ - 64796 - up2date segfaults during Migration
- BZ - 64851 - Non fatal Gtk errors when up2date hits a package already in its cache
- BZ - 65423 - "up2date -f" does not update skipped packages on first attempt
- BZ - 67865 - "up2date --version" does NOT display version
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2