RHEA-2018:2987 - Product Enhancement Advisory
gluster-block, tcmu-runner bug fix and enhancement update
Product Enhancement Advisory
Updated gluster-block and tcmu-runner packages that fix several bugs and adds various enhancements are now available for Red Hat OpenShift Container Storage 3.11.
gluster-block is a distributed management framework for block devices, provided as a command line utility. It aims to make Gluster-backed block storage creation and maintenance as simple as possible. gluster-block can provision block devices and export them as iSCSI LUNs across multiple nodes, and uses iSCSI protocol for data transfer as SCSI block/commands.
The tcmu-runner packages provide a service that handles the complexity of the LIO kernel target's userspace passthrough interface (TCMU). It presents a C plugin API for extension modules that handle SCSI requests in ways not possible or suitable to be handled by LIO's in-kernel backstores.
Block storage allows the creation of high-performance individual storage units. Unlike the traditional file storage capability that glusterfs supports, each storage volume/block device can be treated as an independent disk drive, so that each storage volume/block device can support an individual file system.
The advisory adds the following enhancements:
- The CLI audit logs have been added to capture every CLI command and its response. This makes logs more detailed and easier to understand the gluster-block CLI operations history, which will improve debugability. (BZ#1575908)
- Updates to the tcmu-runner configuration file are now applied automatically, removing the need to restart the tcmu-runner daemon when any configuration changes are made. (BZ#1561323)
- Updates to the gluster-block configuration file are now applied automatically, removing the need to restart the gluster-blockd daemon when any configuration changes are made. (BZ#1589666)
This advisory also fixes the following bugs:
- Previously, using gluster-block on a non-recommended kernel version, resulted in a dependent user space processes entering an uninterruptible sleep state. With this update, gluster-block now checks for minimum kernel version. If the minimum recommendation is not met, then gluster-block service refuses to start. As a result, we achieve stabilized gluster-block user experience. (BZ#1594331)
- Gluster-block operations (create/delete/modify) or gluster-block-target service restart, performed when tcmu-runner is in an offline state, can trigger netlink hung issue, with targetcli process entering uninterruptible sleep (D state) state forever. To recover from this state, restart the tcmu-runner daemon. (BZ#1476730)
- Block volumes created on CNS v3.9 or below used default Asymmetric Logical Unit Access (alua) group setting at target side configuration. These are meant to be used with 'prio const' at the initiator side multipath.conf. After upgrading OCS to 3.10 or above, the new recommendation at multipath is 'prio alua'. Old block volume having target side alua group set to default are not compatible with newly recommended multipath.conf. Hence, to maintain compatibility of old block volumes with the new multipath.conf recommendation, the default alua group must be changed to glfs alua group. With this update, the block volume target configuration is generated automatically as part of the upgrade to fix the compatibility issue. Hence, the compatibility of old block volume with the new multipath.conf recommendation is maintained. (BZ#1638988)
Users of gluster-block and tcmu-runner are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which fix these bugs and add these enhancements.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
For details on how to apply this update, refer to:
- Red Hat Gluster Storage Server for On-premise 3 for RHEL 7 x86_64
- BZ - 1476730 - [Tracker-RHEL-BZ#1608677] tcmu-runner: allow reset netlink support
- BZ - 1561323 - [RFE] tcmu-runner: introduce the dynamic reloading config feature support
- BZ - 1575908 - [RFE] AuditLog Feature
- BZ - 1589666 - [RFE] gluster-block: logging add config dynamic reloading support
- BZ - 1594331 - gluster-block: defend on minimum kernel version recommendation at runtime
- BZ - 1595624 - Help/Man page update needed in 'gluster-block create'
- BZ - 1638002 - genconfig: update old block volumes alua groups from default_tg_pt_gp to glfs_tg_pt_gp
- BZ - 1638352 - Multipath devices not cleaned up and call traces observed on node reboot(initiator and target on same OCP node)
- BZ - 1638988 - embed/automate upgrade time genconfig steps within gluster-block
Red Hat Gluster Storage Server for On-premise 3 for RHEL 7