RHEA-2016:0422 - Product Enhancement Advisory
ovirt-hosted-engine-ha bug fix and enhancement update
Product Enhancement Advisory
Updated ovirt-hosted-engine-ha packages that fix several bugs and add various enhancements are now available.
The ovirt-hosted-engine-ha package enables the self-hosted engine to be highly available. A self-hosted engine is a virtualized environment in which the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager runs on a virtual machine on the hosts managed by the Manager. If the host running the virtual machine goes into maintenance, the virtual machine is migrated automatically to another host in the environment.
Changes to the ovirt-hosted-engine-ha component:
- In self-hosted engine, when the Manager virtual machine crashes, it will be restarted on another host. However, since all hosts would attempt to restart the Manager virtual machine but only one can succeed, errors returned on the hosts that failed to restart the Manager virtual machine. Though the error is dismissed when the synchronization is complete, this could be confusing to users. This update adds a proper log message to the hosts that failed to restart the Manager virtual machine and errors are no longer returned. (BZ#1150087)
- Previously, to make an update to the Manager virtual machine configuration, you need to update the configuration files on all self-hosted engine hosts. With this enhancement, the information is now stored on the shared storage domain and the configuration only needs to be updated once. (BZ#1139795)
- When a self-hosted engine is unable to connect to the high availability daemon it now prints an error message instead of a stack trace. (BZ#1150073)
- The Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Hypervisor (RHEV-H) attempted to fetch the Manager virtual machine status even though the self-hosted engine was not configured. This resulted in error lines in the log files. With this update, a check was added to skip the Manager virtual machine status collection if self-hosted engine is not configured. (BZ#1248539)
- With this update, systemd is configured to restart the HA services(ovirt-ha-agent and ovirt-ha-broker) in case the services crash. The HA services are part of the high availability solution for the Manager virtual machine and must be highly available themselves. (BZ#1030441)
- When a self-hosted engine host client requested status from the Manager virtual machine (hosted-engine --vm-status) and a connection to the storage domain could not be established, the client hanged indefinitely waiting for a response from the ovirt-ha-broker. With this update, connection timeout is added and if the storage domain cannot be accessed, an appropriate error message is returned. (BZ#1208489)
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
For details on how to apply this update, refer to:
- Red Hat Virtualization 3 for RHEL 7 x86_64
- BZ - 1030441 - Handle crash of both ha services: agent and broker.
- BZ - 1139795 - [RFE] Keep hosted engine VM configuration in the shared storage
- BZ - 1150073 - Running hosted-engine --vm-status, when ovirt-ha-broker service stopped, drop exception
- BZ - 1150087 - Log entries should explain why HE agent try to start vms on both hosts
- BZ - 1164226 - bogus line during installer boot
- BZ - 1172511 - Switch to Hosted Engine TUI menu so slowly due to failed to connect to broker
- BZ - 1208489 - HE active hyper-visor not responding to "hosted-engine --vm-status" after "iptables -I INPUT -s 10.35.160.108 -j DROP" cast.
- BZ - 1234906 - Upgrade ovirt-hosted-engine-ha to 1.3.2
- BZ - 1248539 - /var/log/messages is spammed with hosted engine errors on RHEV-H 3.5.4
- BZ - 1280268 - HE-VM cannot startup automatically after successful configure HE
- BZ - 1280310 - Failed to startup HE-VM after upgrade RHEV-H7.1-20151015 to RHEV-H7.2-20151104 (Device or resource busy)
- BZ - 1284954 - Upgrade ovirt-hosted-engine-ha to 22.214.171.124
- BZ - 1303316 - vm.conf does not get updated if hosted engine is installed on block storage
Red Hat Virtualization 3 for RHEL 7
Red Hat Virtualization for IBM Power LE 3