RHEA-2015:0177 - Product Enhancement Advisory
rhevm-dwh 3.5 bug fix and enhancement update
Product Enhancement Advisory
Updated ovirt-engine-dwh packages that fix several bugs and add various
enhancements are now available.
The Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager data warehouse package provides
the ETL process and DB scripts to create a historic database API. Enables SQL BI
reports creation for management and monitoring.
Changes to the ovirt-engine-dwh component:
- Previously, the CPU usage statistics did not correctly calculate the CPU usage
when there was more than one CPU core being used within the same host. Now, the
CPU usage statistics for hosts with more than one core correctly takes into
account the number of cores on the hosts when calculating overall CPU usage and
the upper limit will now display 100%. (BZ#1078897)
- It is now possible to create ad hoc reports that have full details of users
including more information than the user's ID number. The user's first and last
name will now be visible on the report as well. (BZ#1018416)
- Previously, the data warehouse service became unresponsive and got an
OutOfMemoryError on service start when the hourly aggregation tried to aggregate
around 1.5 million records. With this update, the service now aggregates per
hour of the day and then proceeds to the next hour. This way, data aggregation
is now scalable. (BZ#1014134)
- It is now possible to set up the DWH and engine on separate physical machines.
Creating this type of setup allows the load to be spread over multiple machines
and allows for better resource management and control. (BZ#1100200)
- Previously, in specific cases the DWH was unable to insert new records to the
ovirt_engine_history database as some of the sequences next value contained a
higher number than what the primary key could store. With this update, the
column of "history_id" for statistics tables has been changed from type integer
to type bigint. Note that if users use the previous version through the REST
API, they will need to update the history_id type to bigint in their
- Previously, when using a remote database and running the
ovirt-engine-dwh-setup, the wizard did not ask for the remote database name as
it was hardcoded. In Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.4, the DWH setup
utility was replaced with a plug-in to use the common engine-setup utility and
made it possible to input a database host as needed when setting up DWH with a
remote database. This feature was a Tech Preview feature in Red Hat Enterprise
Virtualization 3.4, and now a supported feature in 3.5. (BZ#1054259)
- Previously, when using a remote database, the ovirt-engine-dwh-setup
configured the host and engine databases on the same machine, and it was not
possible to specify a different database host. In Red Hat Enterprise
Virtualization 3.4, the DWH setup utility was replaced with a plug-in to use the
common engine-setup utility and made it possible to input a database host as
needed when setting up DWH with a remote database. This feature was a Tech
Preview feature in Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.4, and now a supported
feature in 3.5. (BZ#1079351)
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to
use the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Virtualization 3.5 x86_64
- BZ - 891073 - [rhevm-dwh] History DB - Change Fields "Network Name" to "Logical Network Name"
- BZ - 1014134 - PRD35 - [RFE][scale] - prevent OutOfMemoryError after starting the dwh service.
- BZ - 1018416 - PRD35 - [RFE] History DB should sync user's first and last name for user usage tables.
- BZ - 1054259 - [rhevm-dwh-setup] (remote install) avoid hard-code DB name by allowing the user to define it
- BZ - 1059283 - [DWH-OTOPI-SETUP] DWH doesn't check the minimalETLVersion like the previous installer
- BZ - 1078897 - User and System CPU Usage have values higher than 100%
- BZ - 1079351 - [rhevm-dwh-setup] Enable specifying a different DB server than the engine DB server
- BZ - 1086389 - Sleep is set according to last run length and not according to total delete\aggregation reruns total time
- BZ - 1094016 - [RHEVM-SETUP] - upgrade of dwh fails using previously generated answer file
- BZ - 1097702 - MinimalVersionCheck job has incorrect instructions for upgrade of engine & dwh.
- BZ - 1100200 - PRD35 - [RFE] Allow setup of ovirt-engine-dwh on separate machine
- BZ - 1111749 - DWH/Reports upgrade from 3.2 to 3.5 fails
- BZ - 1113577 - dom4j package was renamed to dom4j-eap6
- BZ - 1119436 - rhevm-dwh-setup fails upgrading to 3.3.4-1
- BZ - 1121994 - Ovirt-engine-dwh fails to collect statistics due to high number in database sequences.
- BZ - 1122021 - there must be at most one instance of dwh per engine
- BZ - 1133608 - Change runTime to be set according to Engine DB date and time.
- BZ - 1141205 - clean setup of dwh fails
- BZ - 1156039 - dwh upgrade on separate host asks again engine/dwh db credentials
- BZ - 1157748 - Need to force java-1.7 source and target for DWH
- BZ - 1159789 - Enter Engine Database Password on DWH setup is not intuitive when setup is on a separate host
- BZ - 1162186 - if engine db is inaccessible, setup/cleanup fail with "global name 'osetupcons' is not defined"
Red Hat Virtualization 3.5