RHBA-2017:0871 - Bug Fix Advisory
Bug Fix Advisory
Red Hat Insights patch analysis
Identify and remediate systems affected by this advisory.
Updated cloud-init and cloud-utils-growpart packages that fix various bugs and add one enhancement are now available for the Red Hat Common channel of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
The cloud-init package provides a set of init scripts for cloud instances. Cloud instances need special scripts to run during initialization to retrieve and install ssh keys, and to let the user run various scripts.
The cloud-utils-growpart package provides the growpart script for growing a partition. It is primarily used in cloud images to grow the root partition during the first boot.
This update fixes the following bugs:
- The cloud-init package did not have a dependency on the pyserial package, which is required to support the SmartOS cloud data source. This update adds the missing dependency. (BZ#1226187)
- Cloud-init 0.7.6 introduced optional support for the Jinja2 templating engine, but also included templates that required Jinja2, such as the ones used in the "chef" configuration module. Because Jinja2 was not included as a dependency of the cloud-init package, this caused some templates to fail to render correctly. This update includes Jinja2 as a dependency of cloud-init. (BZ#1215913)
- Due to a race condition between the cloud-init application and the NetworkManager utility, systems with cloud-init set up in some cases booted with an incorrect network configuration. This update ensures that the cloud-init-local service runs before NetworkManager starts and that the cloud-init service runs afterwards. As a result, the described problem no longer occurs. (BZ#1363633)
- Previously, if the host name was set to "localhost.localdomain", the cloud-init application expanded the host name to "localhost.localdomain.localdomain", which could cause a variety of networking problems with the host. Now, cloud-init correctly handles the the described situation, which prevents the networking problems. (BZ#1389048)
- The rsyslog configuration installed by the cloud-init application used deprecated configuration file syntax, which caused warnings logged by rsyslog. This update uses the syntax expected by the current version of rsyslog, and warning messages are no longer logged in the described situation. (BZ#1315615)
- Prior to this update, using the growpart command on a disk larger than 2 TB that had an MBR partition table caused the partition table not to be updated correctly. As a consequence, the partition was in some cases shrunk, which corrupted the file system on the disk. With this update, growpart handles disks larger than 2 TB properly, and the described problem no longer occurs. (BZ#1321373)
In addition, this update adds the following enhancement:
- The rh_subscription plug-in has been added to the cloud-init package. The plug-in can be used to automatically register a system with Red Hat Network by using either a username-password pair or an organization and an activation key. (BZ#1227393)
Users of cloud-init and cloud-utils-growpart are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which fix these bugs and add this enhancement.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata relevant to your system have been applied.
For details on how to apply this update, refer to:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7 x86_64
- BZ - 1215913 - cloud-init 0.7.6-2 does not process templates correctly
- BZ - 1226187 - cloud-init package missing pyserial
- BZ - 1227393 - Add rh_subscription plugin to cloud-init in RHEL 7.x
- BZ - 1321373 - growpart on disk larger than 2TB fails
- BZ - 1363633 - [cloud-init] - cloud-init should finish before NetworkManager starts or run ifdown ifup after cloud-init is finished
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7