RHBA-2011:1213 - Bug Fix Advisory
Bug Fix Advisory
Red Hat Insights patch analysis
Identify and remediate systems affected by this advisory.
Updated vdsm packages that fix various bugs are now available.
The Virtual Desktop Server Manager (VDSM) is a management module that serves as
a Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager agent on Red Hat Enterprise
Virtualization Hypervisor or Red Hat Enterprise Linux hosts.
This update includes the following bug fixes and enhancements:
- If migrating a virtual machine from one host to another failed, the virtual
machine was locked on the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Manager server until the
timeout limit was reached. Now, if a virtual machine migration fails, the
migration is cancelled and the virtual machine remains on the original host.
- If the refreshStoragePool command on a host storage manager failed while
maintaining the host's connection to the original storage pool, the new host
would start as a storage pool manager (SPM), which meant the cluster had two SPM
hosts. Now, if the refreshStoragePool command fails on a host, the host is left
without a storage pool, and the original SPM host remains the only SPM host.
- If a disk already had an LVM physical volume defined on it and you defined a
storage doman on the disk, Red Hat Enterprise Linux would create an LVM metadata
area on the disk of only 1M instead of 100M because of an error in the code. The
error has been fixed and now Red Hat Enterprise Linux creates LVM metadata areas
that are always 100M in size by default. (BZ#729322)
- The logrotate file was missing the letter 'm' in the file name, so vdsm-reg
didn't rotate logs correctly. Another typo prevented the file size from being
limited to 10M. These two typos in the code have been fixed and compression has
been added to help limit the size of the logs. (BZ#729323)
- Attaching a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.7 host to a Red Hat Enterprise
Virtualization manager failed because when the bootstrap process imported the
utilities, installing utils from yum overwrote the VDSM directory from the
current Python path. The VDSM directory is now added to the current Python path
so you can attach the 5.7 host successfully. (BZ#729324)
- The getStoragePoolInfo command has been enhanced to also return a list of
active alerts, including two new alerts regarding the virtual disk metadata area
All VDSM users are advised to upgrade to these updated packages.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously-released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to
use the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Virtualization 3 for RHEL 5 x86_64
- BZ - 729319 - 2.2.z - Guest will be left in migrating from status, even if the guest on destination died or inaccessible
- BZ - 729322 - Disk with an existing LVM physical volume on it only gets an LVM metadata size of 1M when creating a storage domain
- BZ - 729324 - host installation failed - vds_bootstrap imports utils from yum [for RHEL 5.8 / VDSM 2.2.x]
Red Hat Virtualization 3 for RHEL 5