RHBA-2008:0806 - Bug Fix Advisory
lvm2-cluster bug fix and enhancement update
Bug Fix Advisory
An updated lvm2-cluster package that fixes various bugs and adds
enhancements is now available.
The lvm2-cluster package contains support for Logical Volume Management in
a clustered environment.
This update ensures that the bugs fixed by the lvm2 advisory,
RHBA-2008:0776, and the device-mapper advisory, RHBA-2008:0735, are also
fixed in a clustered environment.
Additionally, this updated package fixes the following bugs:
- Several bugs in the clvmd daemon that could cause the daemon to hang or
crash, have been resolved.
- The "clvmd -R" command fully refreshes the internal device cache in this
- Fixes uninitialized mutex in clvmd if all daemons are not running at
- Make clvmd refresh its internal state correctly when "lvm.conf" is
- Fixes a crash if clvmd sees a node ID greater than 50.
- Fixes a potential deadlock in clvmd thread handling.
Also, this updated package adds the following enhancements:
- More detailed error messages. Many unnecessary error messages are now
- Updated man page and mention of the default "--clustered" setting in the
vgcreate man page.
- pvmove is now supported in a clustered VG if clustered mirroring support
is installed (cmirror-kernel).
- Indicate whether or not a VG is clustered in vgcreate log messages.
- clvmd now maintains local backups of VG metadata on each node.
- The "clvmd -d [-C]" command now allows you to turn on clvmd debugging in
a running daemon.
- Decode numbers in clvmd debugging output.
- Adds more cluster information to lvmdump.
Important: This update must be applied along with the lvm2 advisory,
RHBA-2008:0776, and the device-mapper advisory, RHBA-2008:0735. For a
complete description of changes, please refer to the WHATS_NEW file in the
All lvm2-cluster users are advised to upgrade to this updated package,
which resolves these issues and adds these enhancements.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Resilient Storage (for RHEL Server) 4 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Resilient Storage (for RHEL Server) 4 ppc
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Resilient Storage (for RHEL Server) 4 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Resilient Storage (for RHEL Server) 4 i386
- BZ - 231696 - RFE: Use understandable term in debugging output when locking cluster volumes
- BZ - 399361 - 'cluster request failed' during vgs command
- BZ - 406021 - RFE: provide backup of logical volumes on all cluster nodes after activation/deactivation
- BZ - 435341 - clvmd hangs during startup because vgscan hangs
- BZ - 435491 - RHEL4u6 clvmd - lvm commands hang and lvm commands are in 'S' state waiting on syscall connect() to finish
- BZ - 442014 - Restarting clvmd doesn't get LV locks
- BZ - 449350 - lvcreate keep partially active LVs if some node fail to activate LV
- BZ - 450763 - vgsplit fails on cluster mirrors
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Resilient Storage (for RHEL Server) 4