RHBA-2008:0480 - Bug Fix Advisory
virt-manager bug fix and enhancement update
Bug Fix Advisory
An updated virt-manager package that fixes several bugs and adds
enhancements is now available.
The Virtual Machine Manager application is a desktop user interface for
managing virtual machines.
This updated package fixes the following bugs:
- when the "xm save" command failed, no errors were visually reported to
the user, and errors such as "ERROR (XendCheckpoint:106) Save failed" were
logged to "xend.log".
- in certain situations, when connecting to the para-virtualized
framebuffer, key repeats did not work correctly, resulting in incorrect key
- when attempting to create a fully-virtualized Microsoft Windows domain,
the second stage of the guest installation may have failed.
- when running "virt-manager" from a terminal, closing the graphical
console caused an error similar to the following:
_gtk_accel_group_attach: assertion `g_slist_find
(accel_group->acceleratables, object) == NULL' failed
- no confirmation was provided when deleting a guest. A confirmation dialog
box is now provided.
- it was not possible to use virt-manager to specify additional boot
parameters. Now, virt-manager allows kernel boot parameters to be sent to
the para-virtualized guest installer.
- virt-manager now appends entries to "virt-manager.log", instead of
resetting it when virt-manager is restarted.
- virt-manager did not detect invalid partitions, which may have caused
traceback errors. Now, an error occurs when an invalid location is
- a memory leak, which caused virt-manager to increasingly use memory when
left open, has been resolved.
- using virt-manager to add disks to an existing guest may have resulted in
an un-bootable guest.
- after pausing and resuming a domain, the "pause" option no longer
appeared in the menu.
- when right-clicking on a guest to delete it, administrators had to click
on another guest, before being able to correctly delete the desired guest.
- it was not possible to use virt-manager to add a bridged networking card.
A traceback and errors similar to the following may have occurred:
TAP bridge path 'eth0 (Bridge br0)' is too long
- in certain situations, using the add hardware wizard to add a disk to a
para-virtualized guest caused a traceback, and a "NameError: global name
'disk' is not defined" error.
- when run for the first time, it was not possible to use virt-manager to
create a HVM guest, as it was not possible to proceed past the "Assigning
storage space" screen.
- a recent dbus security errata prevented virt-manager from obtaining
information about host network and disk devices. This may have prevented
network and CD-ROM devices from being displayed and selected.
- connecting an ISO to an empty CD-ROM may have resulted in an un-bootable
- it was not possible to send "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" to a guest.
- during guest installation using virt-manager, incorrect partition sizes
- when no path to installation media was specified, installation did not
continue, and no errors occurred. An error message is now provided.
As well, this updated package adds the following enhancements:
- the virt-manager GUI now allows administrators to change media and
CD-ROMs attached to guests.
- the MAC address of guest machines can now be configured.
- graphic device parameters, for example, "vncpasswd", can now be changed.
- virt-manager now displays disk permissions and driver information.
- "extra-args" can now be set using virt-manager.
Note: this updated package upgrades virt-manager to version 0.5.3, which
adds support for remotely managing virtual machines.
Users of virt-manager are advised to upgrade to this updated package,
which resolves these issues and adds these enhancements.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 i386
- BZ - 216893 - error of vm save command cannot be fed back to user
- BZ - 216926 - Keyboard repeat does not work correctly with vnc paravirt frame buffer
- BZ - 253144 - RFE: confirmation before deleting guest
- BZ - 427445 - Pause option disappears from right click menu
- BZ - 427545 - delete doesn't desensitize on guest shutdown
- BZ - 428160 - Rebase to virt-manager 0.5.3 with remote management support
- BZ - 430926 - not able to add bridged network card via addhardware
- BZ - 430930 - Adding disk to PV guest with addhardware fails with NameError
- BZ - 435879 - virt-manager can't create, view details when run for the first time
- BZ - 436276 - No network devices for "Shared physical device" option
- BZ - 437174 - connecting a file to an existing cdrom creates unbootable guest
- BZ - 439394 - Can not send 'Ctrl+Alt+Del' to GuestOS
- BZ - 440638 - The installation is stopped without error message if no cd-rom/dvd defined
- BZ - 442697 - The installation is stopped without error message, when we skip to input Install Media URL.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5