RHBA-2008:0034 - Bug Fix Advisory
hts bug fix and enhancement update
Bug Fix Advisory
An updated hts package that fixes several bugs and adds enhancements is now
The Red Hat Hardware Test Suite (HTS) certifies hardware for Red Hat
This updated package fixes the following bugs:
- HTS did not plan tests for storage devices using the HP Smart Array
CCISS driver. As well, running the "hts print --report plan" command did
not list any storage devices using the HP Smart Array CCISS driver.
- the HTS memory test failed on systems using an NFS-mounted root file
- in previous HTS packages, on certain architectures, running any test that
included the "info" test, for example, "hts certify --test info", resulted
in a traceback and a "NameError: global name 'abiCheck' is not defined"
- on AMD64 or Intel 64 architectures, if the current working directory is a
directory that will be removed by running the "hts clean" command, the "hts
clean" command failed with a "shell-init: error retrieving current
directory: getcwd: cannot access parent" error.
- the HTS submit command failed if the current working directory had
- running the "hts plan --disable --udi [udi]" command, where [udi] is a
Unique Device Identifier (ie eth0), resulted in all HTS tests being
disabled. As well, running the "hts plan --enable --udi [udi]" command
enabled all tests. In this updated package, only the tests specified
using these commands are enabled or disabled.
- when running a single test using the "--test" or "--udi" options, the
associated info test was reported as failing.
- the HTS documentation located in the "/var/hts/docs/" directory was
missing css files. This caused rendering problems for page navigation.
In this updated package, the missing css files are included and page
navigation works correctly.
- in certain situations, adding a new device using the "hts plan --add"
command caused a traceback with errors from Python.
As well, this updated package adds the following enhancements:
- the version number of the hts package has been added to the output of HTS
- the HTS test results can now be reported in HTML format. If SELinux is
set to "Enforcing" mode, run the "chcon -R -t httpd_sys_content_t
/var/hts/" command to set the correct SELinux context on the "/var/hts/"
directory. Run the "hts server start" or "service httpd start" commands to
start the server, and then use a Web browser to navigate to
This updated package adds three new tests for battery-equipped systems,
- lid: the lid test asks the tester to verify that the display backlight
turns off when the lid is closed.
- battery: the battery test verifies the power state of the battery when
the system is running on battery power, and when the battery is charging.
- suspend: the suspend test verifies that the system correctly suspends and
resumes. For battery-equipped systems, this test is required for every test
run submitted for certification, to show that other certification tests
pass on a resumed system.
Users of hts are advised to upgrade to this updated package, which resolves
these issues and adds these enhancements.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Hardware Certification Test Suite 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Hardware Certification Test Suite 5 ppc
- Red Hat Hardware Certification Test Suite 5 ia64
- Red Hat Hardware Certification Test Suite 5 i386
- BZ - 273321 - hts does not see cciss storage
- BZ - 296931 - IBM QS21 system with no swap fails memory test
- BZ - 357531 - INFO test always fails ABI check
- BZ - 361311 - [hts-5.1.8][x86_64][hts clean][RHEL5.1] - hts clean show shell-init error
- BZ - 362511 - HTS should run suspend every test run
- BZ - 362531 - HTS submit command fails if current working directory is read-only
- BZ - 386471 - FEAT: add hts version into INFO test's results
- BZ - 400431 - --udi option disables or enables all tests
- BZ - 400451 - info test run in "minimal" mode reported to HCL as FAIL
- BZ - 401611 - FEAT: web/html reporting of test results
- BZ - 409641 - Documentation missing css files
- BZ - 410281 - hts plan add results in a Python traceback
Red Hat Hardware Certification Test Suite 5