RHBA-2005:228 - Bug Fix Advisory
kernel-utils bug fix update
Bug Fix Advisory
An updated kernel-utils package that fixes various bugs is now available.
The kernel-utils package contains several utilities that can be used to
control the kernel or machine hardware. Included are:
- dmidecode - gives information about the BIOS and motherboard revisisons
- microcode_ctl - updates the microcode on Intel CPUs
- smartctl - monitor the health of disks
This updated kernel-utils package addresses the following issues:
- The microcode_ctl utility has been updated to version 1.11, which
incorporates support for AMD64, and updated microcode data.
- The microcode_ctl utility was using binaries from /usr at a stage in the
boot process where /usr may not have been mounted.
- A bogus "" in the initscript for the microcode_ctl utility was fixed.
- Alignment problems when the dmidecode utility was run on the IBM eServer
xSeries 445 were fixed.
- The irqbalance utility was updated and changed to work on AMD64
architecture hardware. Additionally, a bug that prevented its man page from
being installed was fixed.
- The x86info utility was updated to recognize several new processors, and
no longer requires an executable stack.
All users of kernel-utils should upgrade to this updated package, which
resolves these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 90023 - irqbalance missing man page
- BZ - 112355 - dmidecode v2.2 does not work on IBM eServer xSeries 445
- BZ - 130916 - /etc/firmware/microcode.dat is out of date
- BZ - 150338 - /etc/init.d/microcode_ctl has bad arguments to microcode_ctl
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3