RHBA-2005:087 - Bug Fix Advisory
sysklogd bug fix update
Bug Fix Advisory
An updated sysklogd package that fixes various bugs is now available.
The sysklogd package contains two system utilities (syslogd and klogd)
that provide support for system logging. Syslogd and klogd run as
daemons and log system messages to different places such as sendmail
logs, security logs, and error logs.
This updated package allows UTF-8 characters to be correctly logged, instead
of being escaped as octal. Other minor bugs have been fixed as well.
All users of sysklogd should upgrade to this updated package, which
resolves these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 125650 - sysklogd-1.4.1-17/18 eats my logs
- BZ - 125679 - Empty messages in syslog caused by "don't escape UTF-8"
- BZ - 125766 - sysklogd-1.4.1-17 logs nothing but blank lines
- BZ - 126216 - sysklogd-1.4.1-18 broken: logs empty strings into /var/log/messages
- BZ - 126223 - syslogd not handling -f option properly
- BZ - 126452 - Logs are filled with ony last message repeated x times messages
- BZ - 130905 - syslogd prints empy messages
- BZ - 137205 - syslogd opens a socket on UDP port 514 even when receipt of remote log messages is disabled
- BZ - 140983 - deadlocks when accepting remote messages
- BZ - 141545 - klogd will translate odd number of % (percent sign) into even number of percent signs
This erratum does not contain any packages.