RHBA-2004:696 - Bug Fix Advisory
Updated BIND packages
Bug Fix Advisory
Updated BIND packages that fix various bugs are now available.
BIND (Berkeley Internet Name Domain) is an implementation of the DNS
(Domain Name System) protocols. BIND includes a DNS server (named) which
resolves host names to IP addresses; a resolver library (routines for
applications to use when interfacing with DNS); and tools for verifying
that the DNS server is operating properly.
These updated packages address the following issues:
Previously, upgrading from bind-9.2.4-EL3_10 stopped the named server and
removed the named service. This update preserves the named service state
Previously, if BIND were run on a system where the IPv6 backbone was
unreachable, named would experience timeouts of at least 4 seconds for
every query of a name not in its cache. With this update, bind-9.2.4-5 now
immediately tries the next server address when a send results in a host/net
unreachable error instead of waiting 2 seconds. The patch implementing this
fix was submitted upstream to the ISC and is being incorporated in BIND 9.4.0.
All users of the bind package should upgrade to this updated version, which
resolves these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 140528 - named waits a few seconds on cache misses
- BZ - 143558 - Up2date'ing from RHEL update3 to update4 turns named off in init.d/rc?.d
This erratum does not contain any packages.