RHBA-2004:567 - Bug Fix Advisory
Updated bind packages
Bug Fix Advisory
Updated bind packages that fix various bugs are now available.
BIND (Berkeley Internet Name Domain) is an implementation of the DNS
(Domain Name System) protocols. BIND includes a DNS server (named) which
resolves host names to IP addresses; a resolver library (routines for
applications to use when interfacing with DNS); and tools for verifying
that the DNS server is operating properly.
These updated packages address the following issues:
- The BIND initscript now restarts successfully.
- After an upgrade, existing BIND zone files and configuration files were
not preserved correctly.
- BIND wildcard handling now operates according to specifications.
- The bind-chroot command now retains or removes the ROOTDIR variable
from /etc/sysconfig/named correctly.
- The named.conf %config(noreplace) file was not marked.
- A missing chroot -t option for named-checkconf has been fixed.
- BIND package dependencies are now correctly specified in the spec file.
- The man-pages package now installs the resolv.conf(5) man page.
- The BIND package now installs with no errors.
- The bind-chroot %post script now operates correctly.
All users of BIND should upgrade to these updated packages, which resolve
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 129232 - bind-chroot has typo in %post script causing most of %post not to run
- BZ - 129389 - named cannot start - config files not in chroot
- BZ - 130221 - [EASYFIX] [PATCH] bind-devel should require epoch:version if epoch is set
- BZ - 130758 - bind = 9.2.4 is needed by bind-devel-9.2.4-EL4_1
- BZ - 130777 - bind install.log errors in RHEL4
- BZ - 130792 - man5/resolver.5 conflicts with one from man-pages
- BZ - 130919 - bind-devel-10:9.2.4rc7-8 specifies subpackage interdependencies incorrectly
- BZ - 130981 - Missing -t (chroot) option for named-checkconf in init.d/named script
- BZ - 131069 - Should mark named.conf %config(noreplace)
- BZ - 131803 - Bind replace /etc/sysconfig/named during upgrade
- BZ - 132113 - Wildcard entry broke when bind is upgrade to 9.2.4
- BZ - 132303 - bind is unable to find zone files after update to the latest testing version
- BZ - 132866 - Bind not always restarts sucessfull using "restart" or dies silent
- BZ - 132958 - bind 9.2.3 rc8 available
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3