RHBA-2004:427 - Bug Fix Advisory
Updated up2date packages
Bug Fix Advisory
Updated up2date packages that resolve issues when upgrading the up2date
package via the Red Hat Network website are now available.
The up2date packages contain the Red Hat Update Agent, which automatically
queries the Red Hat Network servers and determines what packages need to be
updated on your machine.
These updated packages fix a failure when updating the up2date package
during website scheduling.
All users of up2date should upgrade to these updated packages, which
resolve this issue.
There are alternative ways to upgrade the up2date package:
1. Upgrade up2date from the command line
Running `up2date up2date` from the command line or `up2date -u` will
upgrade up2date without problems.
2. Upgrade up2date from the graphical update client.
3. Schedule a package update or install the "up2date-gnome" package from
the Red Hat Network website.
NOTE: If you do not currently have up2date-gnome installed, do not do this,
as on server machines or configurations with minimal installs, this will
also install a subset of the gnome packages as dependencies.
4. Install the new "up2date-update" package via the Red Hat Network website.
This package has a dependency on the newer up2date, and will be installed
to properly resolve dependencies.
This "up2date-update" package has a single dependency of "up2date >= 4.2.33".
Once the package is installed (and the new up2date it requires), the
"up2date-update" package can be removed. It is not required by any other
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 117523 - up2date fails to update lilo.conf when updating kernel-enterprise and more than two enterprise kernels are already installed
- BZ - 129027 - Invalid function call in new up2date
- BZ - 129215 - up2date + yum = traceback
- BZ - 130169 - up2dates fails to update itself via actions
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3