RHBA-2003:359 - Bug Fix Advisory
Bug Fix Advisory
Updated glibc packages that fix a number of bugs are now available.
The GNU libc package (known as glibc) contains the standard C libraries
used by applications.
A number of bugs in the GNU C library has been fixed, including:
- The bits/mathinline.h header file now provides some inline math functions
only if the -ffast-math option is used
- The library now grabs the IO list lock around the killing of threads
during process exit
- On IA-64 systems, the bits/sigcontext.h header file has been updated to
allow libunwind compilation
- The getcontext/setcontext functions for IA-64 systems include minor bug fixes
- The getnetgrent_r function on both IA-64 and x86 systems includes minor
- NIS handling has been improved
- The timezone database has been updated to tzdata2003c (with additions for
Users should upgrade to these packages, which resolve these issues.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
To update all RPMs for your particular architecture, run:
rpm -Fvh [filenames]
where [filenames] is a list of the RPMs you wish to upgrade. Only those
RPMs which are currently installed will be updated. Those RPMs which are
not installed but included in the list will not be updated. Note that you
can also use wildcards (*.rpm) if your current directory *only* contains the
Please note that this update is also available via Red Hat Network. Many
people find this an easier way to apply updates. To use Red Hat Network,
launch the Red Hat Update Agent with the following command:
This will start an interactive process that will result in the appropriate
RPMs being upgraded on your system.
If up2date fails to connect to Red Hat Network due to SSL
Certificate Errors, you need to install a version of the
up2date client with an updated certificate. The latest version of
up2date is available from the Red Hat FTP site and may also be
downloaded directly from the RHN website:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 2 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 2 i386
- BZ - 88422 - ERRNO IS NOT SET BY A FEW MATH FUNCTIONS
- BZ - 101344 - [GLIBC AS2.1] header file defect
- BZ - 103142 - [GLIBC AS2.1] getpwuid() leaks memory when "compat" is used in nsswitch.conf
- BZ - 103152 - [GLIBC AS2.1] Zoneinfo data for Europe/Tallinn is incorrect.
- BZ - 104105 - [GLIBC AS2.1] getnetgrent/nsswitch compat issue