Where is the Services Applet in RHEL 7?

Latest response

Probably a stupid question, but I can't find the Services applet in RHEL 7. Where on Earth is it??

In 6.5 it was under System -> Administration -> Services

Boy .... I'm not liking this interface in 7. 6.5 was much better. My opinion of course.

Thanks.

Responses

Hi Neil,

EDIT: This doesn't seem like it's part of gnome-shell. Originally I thought what you are seeking would be found in an gnome-shell-extension.

I think what you are looking for is systemadm (which is part of systemd-ui in Fedora 20). I do not see anything (yet) in RHEL 7 that provides the same functionality.

It appears that in 6.x the applet was part of system-config-services (and like I mentioned I do not see a comparable package in RHEL 7).

[root@devstack ~]# ps -ef | grep services
jradtke  29792     1  1 22:27 ?        00:00:02 /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/system-config-services
root     29794     1  1 22:27 ?        00:00:02 /usr/bin/python /usr/share/system-config-services/system-config-services-mechanism.py
[root@devstack ~]# yum whatprovides /usr/bin/system-config-services
Loaded plugins: priorities, product-id, refresh-packagekit, rhnplugin, security, subscription-manager
This system is not registered to Red Hat Subscription Management. You can use subscription-manager to register.
This system is receiving updates from RHN Classic or RHN Satellite.
784 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
system-config-services-0.99.45-1.el6.3.noarch : Utility to start and stop system services
Repo        : rhel-x86_64-server-6
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/bin/system-config-services

I think the significant difference though is 6.5 still uses chkconfig and service and 7 uses systemctl.

Official word from Red Hat Support. This sucks! 6.5 was SO much nicer.

I apologize for the inconvenience, but currently we do not have any graphical tool to manage services in RHEL7.
So you have to manage services from command line. You can refer following articles for details :

What are the systemd equivalent commands for managing services in RHEL 7?
https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/521533

Yes, this is something we found as well during the planning of RHEL 7. The combination of moving to GNOME 3 as well as the applets not having any upstream "love" anymore made it a difficult but logical decision in order to meet the needs for supporting customers for 10+ years. They need to be new tools, and they need to be futureproof.

FYI - system-config-lvm is in the same boat. Hopefully there will be replacements in future minor releases - they are on our list. Many noticed this early in the planning and Beta and these are currently on the priority list for engineering. Hope this helps, sorry this isn't the answer you're hoping for.