I have a Desktop Subscription and am in ZLib developer Hell

Latest response

I am having the same trouble. I cannot find the Zlib stuff so I can learn to use Zlib in my C-language programs.

I am finding no resources for Zlib on RHEL6 I understand.

Nevermind.. I attempted to use the Centros RPM and was surprised that Yum work on that RPM.

I now have Zlib.h so I can continue developing a data compression program.

Please help with the C++ issue. I am completely stuck on that one.

I mean seriously I apid for this subscription and Fedora has access to it all and it's free.

Thank you I am venting I know. I understand the need to have "products" but with linux no one should have their hands tied behind their backs.

Okay..
Back to work.

Responses

Hello Ernst,
Fedora certainly has some advantages over RHEL. However, in general, I think you can accomplish everything using Red Hat as well. I don't really do much with my Desktop once it is built, and I have a script that I run as soon as the OS is installed to get it working for me.

Are you familiar with the PATH variable also?

Some differences that I think may present a challenge is the concept of the Optional and Supplementary channels from Red Hat. Which I don't think Fedora really has that need.
Here is a link to the subscription manager
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/entitlements.html

Or, if you are using RHN Classic subscription

rhn-channel -v -u redacted@domain.com -a -c rhel-x86_64-workstation-optional-6 -a -c rhel-x86_64-workstation-supplementary-6

I believe for most use-cases using only the Red Hat channels should suffice.

When I need something outside of the Red Hat channels - I find that adding the EPEL and RPMfusion REPOs provide pretty much everything else that I need. A quick google search should provide information on both of the REPOs.

As I don't have any way of knowing what your familiarity with Linux (or Red Hat) is, I will offer a few quick commands to help in this situation.

yum whatprovides */gcc
yum whatprovides */zlib.h*
yum list | grep gcc
yum repolist
find / -name "gcc.*"
rpm -qa | grep -i gcc

I try to advise folks to use yum whenever possible (instead of installing via rpm).

Best of luck! Reach out with any more questions.

I think you need the Developer Workstation product, not Desktop.

See the datasheet:
http://www.redhat.com/resourcelibrary/datasheets/rhel-desktop-datasheet