CUPS with Samba support to a Windows Client - printer properties not pulling through

Latest response

Hello everyone,
This is my first post to this discussion board, I hope that I provide enough information, however if you need any more information please ask.

The Setup:
Long story short, we use some printer management software called PaperCut, our users can swipe their door cards on the printers and their print jobs come out - simple!

However, currently we use a windows printer server for this, but there is a silly 1000 printer job ID limitation within the Windows Printer Spooler, once you hit this 1000 job ID limit the spooler will start to re-use already in-use printer job ID's, this causes random print jobs to come out of the printer along side others - very bad for confidential work.

We heard that Linux with CUPS installed can handle waaay more than 1000 printer jobs at once, we have got everything working well - papercut and the printers speak to each other very well, cups and samba are all working fine however here is the issue:

If I were to set a printer property such as 'Duplex' or 'Standard Tray' (or any property) the Windows clients do not pick this up, I am just wondering if this is a configuration issue my end or if this is unsupported.

Any help would be brilliant.

Thanks.

Responses