RHEL 7 - journald log shipping

Posted on

Trying to find out what built-in mechanism there is for shipping journald log entries to a central log server. Despite hunting around for a week now, I can't find anything that illustrates the possible solution.

Some old mailing list entries suggest that log shipping is being worked on, but I find nothing else. Some sources suggest writing from journald to rsyslog and get rsyslog to ship the logs - I'd rather not have 2 log daemons running on my clients.

Is there a definitive statement on how (or whether) journald can be configured to ship it's log entries to a remote server? If not, I would think it's something that should definitely be worked on ASAP. In corporate-land, shipping log files to a central location is an essential, not an optional. To be hailing journald as the all new shiny logging solution is all very well (and deserved in my opinion), but then telling us we need to interface with rsyslog in order to ship those logs just defies logic.

I'm not talking about having a centralised journald server yet either (although that would also be pretty neat). Simply having a built-in way to send my journald entries over the network in JSON format would be nice.

Duncan

Responses