Content View filters break RHEL 8 module streams in RH Satellite

Latest response

Satellite 6.10 and RHEL8 content views.

I've been fighting this for a couple of weeks. I have content views that I've been using with RHEL7 that have a net affect of excluding any package enhancements from x date. I want a content view for RHEL8 with a similar affect. However, it appears that any filter I apply clobbers the RHEL8 module stream/profile 'defaults', which leads to unresolved dependencies when I try to install a module.

Here's an example: this is a result of a completely 'unfiltered' RHEL 8 content view. It is a listing of available module streams and what the 'default' stream/profiles are (the [d] flags):

[root@c1-devvinfimg01 ~]# yum module list
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - BaseOS (RPMs)                                                                                 121 kB/s | 4.1 kB     00:00
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - AppStream (RPMs)                                                                              119 kB/s | 4.5 kB     00:00
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - AppStream (RPMs)
Name                 Stream          Profiles Summary
389-ds               1.4                      389 Directory Server (base)
ant                  1.10 [d]        common [d] Java build tool
container-tools      rhel8 [d]       common [d] Most recent (rolling) versions of podman, buildah, skopeo, runc, conmon, runc, conmon, CRIU, Udica, etc as well as dependencies such as container-selinux built and tested together, and updated as frequently as every 12 weeks.
container-tools      1.0             common [ d] Stable versions of podman 1.0, buildah 1.5, skopeo 0.1, runc, conmon, CRIU, Udica, etc as well as dependencies such as container-selinux built and tested together, and supported for 24 months.
container-tools      2.0             common [d] Stable versions of podman 1.6, buildah 1.11, skopeo 0.1, runc, conmon, etc as well as dependencies such as container-selinux built and tested together, and supported as documented on the Application Stream lifecycle page.
container-tools      3.0             common [d] Stable versions of podman 3.0, buildah 1.19, skopeo 1.2, runc, conmon, etc as well as dependencies such as container-selinux built and tested together, and supported as documented on the Application Stream lifecycle page.
container-tools      4.0             common [d] Stable versions of podman 4.0, buildah 1.24, skopeo 1.6, runc, conmon, etc as well as dependencies such as container-selinux built and tested together, and supported as documented on the Application Stream lifecycle page.
eclipse              rhel8           java [d] An open, extensible IDE and application platform
freeradius           3.0 [d]         server [d] High-performance and highly configurable free RADIUS server
gimp                 2.8 [d]         common [d], devel gimp module
... remainder of output omited ...

You can see which module streams and profiles are 'default' by the [d] flags and these get installed automatically if any of those module streams are a dependency of something else and everything works as expected.

As soon as I apply pretty much any filter to the CV, the 'defaults' get blown away and any software that has a depency on a module stream can't be installed. Instead I get errors saying that content is 'filtered out due to modular filtering'. Here's the output from the same command from a CV with an 'exclude' filter to suppress 'enhancements' from 1/1/2022 to present:

[root@c1-devvinfimg01 ~]# yum module list
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - BaseOS (RPMs)                                                                                  81 kB/s | 2.6 kB     00:00
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - BaseOS (RPMs)                                                                                 105 MB/s |  53 MB     00:00
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - AppStream (RPMs)                                                                               86 kB/s | 2.9 kB     00:00
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - AppStream (RPMs)                                                                              106 MB/s |  49 MB     00:00
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:08 ago on Mon 15 Aug 2022 11:32:47 AM EDT.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - AppStream (RPMs)
Name                 Stream          Profiles Summary
389-ds               1.4                      389 Directory Server (base)
ant                  1.10            common   Java build tool
container-tools      rhel8           common   Most recent (rolling) versions of podman, buildah, skopeo, runc, conmon, runc, conmon, CRIU, Udica, etc as well as dependencies such as container-selinux built and tested together, and updated as frequently as every 12 weeks.
container-tools      1.0             common   Stable versions of podman 1.0, buildah 1.5, skopeo 0.1, runc, conmon, CRIU, Udica, etc as well as dependencies such as container-selinux built and tested together, and supported for 24 months.
container-tools      2.0             common   Stable versions of podman 1.6, buildah 1.11, skopeo 0.1, runc, conmon, etc as well as dependencies such as container-selinux built and tested together, and supported as documented on the Application Stream lifecycle page.
container-tools      3.0             common   Stable versions of podman 3.0, buildah 1.19, skopeo 1.2, runc, conmon, etc as well as dependencies such as container-selinux built and tested together, and supported as documented on the Application Stream lifecycle page.
container-tools      4.0             common   Stable versions of podman 4.0, buildah 1.24, skopeo 1.6, runc, conmon, etc as well as dependencies such as container-selinux built and tested together, and supported as documented on the Application Stream lifecycle page.
eclipse              rhel8           java     An open, extensible IDE and application platform
freeradius           3.0             server   High-performance and highly configurable free RADIUS server
gimp                 2.8             common,  gimp module
                                     devel
... remainder of output omitted...

As you can see, none of the 'defaults' are set.
Is this the expected result? The filter expression itself doesn't seem to matter; it can be an exclude filter that excludes nothing. How can I configure a RHEL8 content view that uses filters that don't break this? I can add default-override files to a system's /etc/dnf/modules.defaults.d/ that specs what the defaults are for each module stream/profile, which I don't really want to do because it's pretty fussy and I need to refer to a 'working' system in order to get the information. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Responses