Dash to Panel extension for RHEL 9

Latest response

Hello everyone. I would like to install the Dash to Panel Gnome extension on RHEL 9. I can find information about installing Dash to Dock but nothing about Dash to Panel. I would appreciate any help on that. Thanks in advance.

Responses

Hi Nikos,

You have two options : either install the browser extension from the GNOME Extensions website, or download the matching zip
file (select GNOME version 40 and the newest Dash-to-Panel extension version 44 from the drop-down-menus), and install it
manually by following these instructions. In case both possibilities don't work as expected you can install it directly from source.

The browser extension lets you install any GNOME extension directly from the website and hence is the most easy option here.
Not sure what's the best way to install extensions generally, on Fedora there is an extensions app - the GNOME developers are
not exactly happy with the whole topic at all, they of course want us to use the GNOME DE as it's intended by them to be used.

As you may recall, I prefer to use "Vanilla GNOME" - so I can't guarantee that using this extension doesn't break something ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Nikos,

Short update : I have tested the process of enabling, disabling - and removal - of the Dash-to-Panel extension.
I've installed the Firefox extension, and it worked ... I simply had to enable the "DtP" extension on the website. :)

Regards,
Christian

Christian, thanks again. Not only do you offer advice but you also test it yourself to make sure that everything is okay. Anyway, I tested Dash-to-Panel extension myself and I tend to agree with you. It's not bad but it's very ... Windows like. It takes away much of the unique sense that Gnome offers. It seems that I'll stick to the vanilla interface, as well.

You're welcome, Nikos ! I'm always happy to assist (if possible). :)

Regards,
Christian