Problems with XULrunner and Firefox 17.0 on RH5.6?

Latest response

Is anyone else having problems with XULrunner and Firefox 17.0 on RH5.6?

Ever since RH put out the announcement that they had to go to FF17.0 to fix a vulnerabililty, it has broken xulrunner and ff for me.

Symptom:

After upgrade, clicking on FF icon causes the kernel to dump me back to the login screen.

Fix:

So far, I can only downgrade back to xulrunner 10.0.12 and ff 10.0.12 to get firefox to work.

Suggestions?

Responses

Hi Raymond, how are you?

Without the dump we only can have some suggestions but not complete sure about this incident.

- Do you have some Add-ons installed in this Firefox?

- You always face the problem when open the Firefox 17 or it is one or other time?

- Did you update the entire system to the last version or only the FF?

Can you please try to update it again and before running the FF, try to move .mozilla directory from your home to a safe place?

1 - Update the FF and the xulrunner

2 - move /home/<user>/.mozilla /root

3 - Run the FF 17

Let us know.

Regards,

Anderson Kaiser

Anderson,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

No, doing that it still does not work with FF17.

Same symptom.   I can install both FF17 and xulrunner 17 in the same version and they seem to install fine.  But when i click on them, the crash me out to the login screen.

I am running as root.

Here is the dump from messages for all operations since I installed 17:

May  1 13:21:52 awipsworkstation yum: Installed: xulrunner-17.0.5-1.el5_9.i386
May  1 13:21:53 awipsworkstation yum: Installed: firefox-17.0.5-1.el5_9.i386
May  1 13:21:54 awipsworkstation yum: Installed: firefox-17.0.5-1.el5_9.i386
May  1 13:22:02 awipsworkstation gdm[6792]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
May  1 13:22:17 awipsworkstation gconfd (root-6877): GConf server is not in use, shutting down.
May  1 13:22:17 awipsworkstation gconfd (root-6877): Exiting
May  1 13:22:23 awipsworkstation gdm[7161]: Couldn't authenticate user
May  1 13:22:28 awipsworkstation gconfd (root-7248): starting (version 2.14.0), pid 7248 user 'root'
May  1 13:22:28 awipsworkstation gconfd (root-7248): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only configuration source at position 0
May  1 13:22:28 awipsworkstation gconfd (root-7248): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/root/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 1
May  1 13:22:28 awipsworkstation gconfd (root-7248): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only configuration source at position 2
May  1 13:22:28 awipsworkstation hcid[5615]: Default passkey agent (:1.33, /org/bluez/applet) registered
May  1 13:22:28 awipsworkstation gconfd (root-7248): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/root/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 0
May  1 13:24:52 awipsworkstation gdm[7161]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
May  1 13:24:58 awipsworkstation gconfd (root-7248): GConf server is not in use, shutting down.
May  1 13:24:58 awipsworkstation gconfd (root-7248): Exiting
May  1 13:25:08 awipsworkstation gdm[7406]: Couldn't authenticate user
May  1 13:25:13 awipsworkstation gconfd (root-7492): starting (version 2.14.0), pid 7492 user 'root'
May  1 13:25:13 awipsworkstation gconfd (root-7492): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only configuration source at position 0
May  1 13:25:13 awipsworkstation gconfd (root-7492): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/root/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 1
May  1 13:25:13 awipsworkstation gconfd (root-7492): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only configuration source at position 2
May  1 13:25:13 awipsworkstation hcid[5615]: Default passkey agent (:1.43, /org/bluez/applet) registered
May  1 13:25:13 awipsworkstation gconfd (root-7492): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/root/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 0
May  1 13:27:18 awipsworkstation yum: Erased: firefox
May  1 13:27:18 awipsworkstation yum: Erased: flash-plugin
May  1 13:27:19 awipsworkstation yum: Erased: xulrunner
May  1 13:28:21 awipsworkstation yum: Installed: flash-plugin-11.2.202.280-release.x86_64
May  1 13:28:21 awipsworkstation yum: Installed: xulrunner-10.0.12-1.el5_9.x86_64
May  1 13:28:22 awipsworkstation yum: Installed: firefox-10.0.12-1.el5_9.x86_64
[

Hi Raymond,
You told me you are running it as root. Do you have the same sympton when run it as normal user?
Can you please try to run it in safe mode using a terminal?
As root:
# firefox -safe-mode
As normal user:
$ firefox -safe-mode
Running it in a Terminal it will show you the error messages and algo any other issue.
Please let me know about the result and also the output from the both commands above.
Cheers
Anderson Kaiser

If I run in Terminal (for either root or user) it immediately blanks the screen and logs me out.  I see no messages.

I can get you another dump of messages, if it will help.

The offending message in Messages is:

gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0

Ray

Ray,

Seems to be related with GDM not Firefox itself.

Are you using any video modules in this box? I mean, some NVidia or any other video drivers instead the built-in kernel modules from Red Hat?

Can you please set the Driver option in your "Device" Section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as follow:

Driver      "vesa"

In my box:

<snip>

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard0"
    Driver      "vesa"
EndSection

</snip>

And then restart the machine?

You can also try to set the following parameter in  [servers] section of /etc/gdm/custom.conf

0=Standard vt7

Restar the machine again.

Let me know.

Regards,

Anderson Kaiser

Yes, I have three high end video cards on this machine.

I'm bouncing back and forth between machines as this workstation has no browser... (:-)

Firefox 17 is the only application that has crashed these cards and Firefox < 12 doesn't crash the cards.   I have a bunch of NOAA meteorological software on these machines that need this hardware configuration.

What does 0=standard vt7 do to my high resolution video cards?

Ray

This is what is in xorg.conf

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "Quadro FX 580"
    BusID          "PCI:15:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device1"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "Quadro FX 580"
    BusID          "PCI:66:0:0"

I have three monitors, two on Device 0 and one on Device 1.

Pretty much has to be that way for my vendor's software.

Ray

<snip>

What does 0=standard vt7 do to my high resolution video cards?

</snip>

It will set gdm toopen all threads or process under a especific tty, in this case tty7.

In mostly cases gdm uses a randon tty search to open sub-process and other threads if available.

Regards,

Anderson Kaiser

Anderson,

Ok that is the issue.   If I load the vesa driver instead of the nvidia drivers, it will come up on a single monitor and I can load Firefox and it will run.

But I can't run my NOAA software on a single monitor and it defeats the purpose of these cards.   I will have to check into whether NVIDIA knows about this problem and maybe there is a driver upgrade ....  I can't imagine what Mozilla did to break this.....

Thanks for the help.

In the meantime, I guess I'll deprecate the browser downwards or try another... I suppose Chrome will do the same thing as Firefox.

Konqueror runs under KDE.

Ray

Apparently a known problem...

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2390081

Anderson,

The problem was on the NVIDIA driver end and apparently I've been pretty slack in upgrading my drivers.   I upgraded about 50 versions and the problem goes away.

Thanks for the help.

Ray

Ray,

I am glad to hear from you that now you have no more problem in your machine.

I was looking in the Mozilla Forum also in the link you sent and seems to be a problem related with one function() called and how the NVidia answer the request.

Thank you for your patience and for using our Red Hat Groups community.

Best Regrads,

Anderson Kaiser