RHEVM : Moving disks between SD's.

Latest response

RHEVM 3.1.0-50

Hi

I've been moving VM disks around and noticed a couple of things which I was not expecting.  Thought I'd bring them up here before raising a support case.

Firstly, when moving an assigned and deactivated disk to a different storage domain I noticed that the disk is given the status of "locked" but the VM itself isn't.

This potentially allows the user to manipulate the VM (start/stop/migrate/edit etc) whilst a disk is in transit between SD's.  Is that correct behaviour ?

Also, I noticed that moving a disk does not appear as an active item in the Tasks tab.  I would have thought it should be.

Can anyone confirm ?

Thanks

Responses

> Firstly, when moving an assigned and deactivated disk to a different storage domain I noticed that the disk is given the status of "locked" but the VM itself isn't.

This is expected. Vm and disks are two different entities that can be managed separately in RHEV-3.1. I assume (not tested yet), if an active disk or boot disk is in mage locked status, you cannot start the vm. If an inactive non-bootable (additional) disk is in image locked status, you can start the vm while the disk still being moved to other sds. The vm will not try to attach the disk to the vm while starting.

> This potentially allows the user to manipulate the VM (start/stop/migrate/edit etc) whilst a disk is in transit between SD's.  Is that correct behaviour ?

Yes, manipulating a vm with inactive disk will not affect the disk even if it's being moved to a different sd. Once the migration of the disk is finished and moved from "Locked" to "Ok", you can activate it which will attach the disk to the vm.

> Also, I noticed that moving a disk does not appear as an active item in the Tasks tab.  I would have thought it should be.

I need to check this.