No mkisofs in RHEL6

Latest response
I thought I would share my experience so others would not have to dig so hard. Recently, I was trying to follow RH documentation to create a custom boot iso for kickstarting. All documentation says to use mkisofs to create the actual ISO. I have done this in the past without much problem. But I am now working on a RHEL6 system. When I went to run mkisofs I get "-bash: mkisofs: command not found". To make a long story short, there is no mkisofs package available for RHEL6, nor cdrtools. (Nor cdrkit which was forked from cdrtools.) From my googling and wikipedia-ing, this seems to be because of a licensing change on cdrtools. Anyways, RHEL6 replaces mkisofs with genisoimage. Yet, if you install the genisoimage package you will find that you now "have" mkisofs. But this is just a symlink. Multiple symlinks in fact:
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 25 Jan  4 19:31 /usr/bin/mkisofs -> /etc/alternatives/mkisofs

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 20 Jan  4 19:31 /etc/alternatives/mkisofs -> /usr/bin/genisoimage

-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 597264 Jun 21  2010 /usr/bin/genisoimage

I hope this helps anyone who is trying to follow a KB article or Doc and can't find mkisofs. Just yum install genisoimage and your good to go. P.S. Red Hat, perhaps you can write a solution article explaining how to "get" mkisofs in RHEL6.x. Thanks, Jacob
Jacob Sohl's picture

Responses

Jacob,   Thanks for sharing the info. I have not run into this issue yet, but a customer may and now I know the solution.   Kind regards,   Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi Jacob,

Thanks very much for sharing your solution here! We may indeed be able to create a solution for this issue. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for taking the time to document this issue and for letting us know!

You can have work around by installing genisoimage package.

If in future you are not sure where to find a file that should be part of an rpm the yum whatprovides */filename can assist e.g.

yum whatprovides */mkisofs

returns

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: repos-jnb.psychz.net
 * epel: mirror.wbs.co.za
 * extras: mirror.wiru.co.za
 * updates: mirror.wiru.co.za
1:bash-completion-extras-2.1-11.el7.noarch : Additional programmable completions for Bash
Repo        : epel
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/mkisofs

genisoimage-1.1.11-23.el7.x86_64 : Creates an image of an ISO9660 file-system
Repo        : DVD
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/bin/mkisofs

and you can see that genisoimage-1.1.11-23.el7.x86_64 that contains /usr/bin/mkisofs is probably the package you need to install.

Was this helpful?

We appreciate your feedback. Leave a comment if you would like to provide more detail.
It looks like we have some work to do. Leave a comment to let us know how we could improve.
Close

Welcome! Check out the Getting Started with Red Hat page for quick tours and guides for common tasks.