RHEVM: Un described options in cluster creation

Latest response
Happy New Year !

Okay folks, your starter for 2013 is to describe what these two new options that have appeared in New Cluster UI for v3.1.0-32 :-

-Enable Virt Service

-Enable Gluster Service

Neither of these appear in any of the official documentation and so I have no idea of the impact of enabling them.

I could probably take a stab at what the second one refers to, but the first is very ambiguous.

Please help. I would really like to deploy a new RHEV environment but I just can't without knowing what these do first.

Support case 00771041 raised to cover.
https://access.redhat.com/support/cases/00771041

Thanks

Responses

-Enable Virt Service

Hosts in this cluster will be used to run virtual machines. [RHEV hypervisors]

-Enable Gluster Service

Hosts in this cluster will be gluster nodes and will not be for the purpose of running virtul machines.

You must select one of the options. At this time you cannot select both to use hypervisors as both gluster nodes and RHEV hypervisors which may be done in a future version.

We already have bugs filed to update documentations about this.

> Hosts in this cluster will be gluster nodes and will not be for the purpose of running virtul machines.

Which generates even more questions in my mind - why describe a gluster cluster inside RHEV-M?  And gluster replicates over a wide area - so would you manage a whole gluster infrastructure with RHEV-M?  Also, the word on gluster was that it was good for replicating small files, not so good for replicating big VM files as the blocks change.  Is that now fixed?

thanks

- Greg Scott

> why describe a gluster cluster inside RHEV-M?

This is to use RHEV-M as management for gluster clusters (create bricks, volumes and etc) independent of virtual machine clusters. You can use the gluster volumes defined in the gluster cluster for any purpose, like storing small files for any application, vm images and etc.

I think the other points you referred about gluster use case need to be discussed separately and addressed by gluster experts.

Thanks chaps. 

Thank you Richard and Sadique, the docs will be updated for 3.2.

Work tracked here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=887385

Thanks Cheryn!