yum grouplist not listing the package groups

Latest response

Hi Guys,

I have just noticed that yum grouplist is not listing the package groups for base channel 'RHEL EUS (v. 6.3.z for 64-bit x86_64)'. Even you can see all repos available and enabled - group* commands are generating an error: 'no group data available configured repositories'.

Any suggestions will be welcomed. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

-Artur.

Responses

[root@node01 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release 
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago)
[root@node01 ~]# uname -a
Linux node01 2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Jun 13 18:24:36 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@node01 ~]# rpm -qa | grep rhn
rhn-setup-1.0.0-87.el6.noarch
rhnsd-4.9.3-2.el6.x86_64
rhn-client-tools-1.0.0-87.el6.noarch
rhn-check-1.0.0-87.el6.noarch
rhnlib-2.5.22-12.el6.noarch
yum-rhn-plugin-0.9.1-40.el6.noarch
[root@node01 ~]# yum repolist all
Failed to set locale, defaulting to C
Loaded plugins: product-id, rhnplugin, security, subscription-manager
Updating certificate-based repositories.
Unable to read consumer identity
repo id                                repo name                   status
rhel-source                            Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6S disabled
rhel-source-beta                       Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6S disabled
rhel-x86_64-server-6.3.z               RHEL EUS Server (v. 6.3.z f enabled: 8521
rhel-x86_64-server-dts-6.3.z           Red Hat Developer Toolset ( enabled:   35
rhel-x86_64-server-ha-6.3.z            RHEL EUS Server High Availa enabled:  210
rhel-x86_64-server-lb-6.3.z            RHEL EUS Server Load Balanc enabled:    5
rhel-x86_64-server-optional-6.3.z      RHEL EUS Server Optional (v enabled: 5333
rhel-x86_64-server-rs-6.3.z            RHEL EUS Server Resilient S enabled:  239
rhel-x86_64-server-supplementary-6.3.z RHEL EUS Server Supplementa enabled:  275
repolist: 14618
[root@node01 ~]# 
[root@node01 ~]# 
[root@node01 ~]# yum grouplist
Failed to set locale, defaulting to C
Loaded plugins: product-id, rhnplugin, security, subscription-manager
Updating certificate-based repositories.
Unable to read consumer identity
Setting up Group Process
Error: No group data available for configured repositories

Artur,

RHEL 6.3 is still general supported, so why do you expect EUS to be filled already?

So I do not find this a strange behaviour.

If am mistaken, Red Hat personal on this group will correct me.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi Artur, I see you're getting an error with "yum grouplist".  The error you're getting is interesting, and I think might be addressed with the following KB article:

yum commands fail with an error message

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/ko/node/78153

It looks like both RHN "Classic" and Subscription Manager might be loaded and are fighting over which method should provide updates.  The article lists two resolution paths, so chose the more appropriate one for your server setup.

We also have a good guide to troubleshooting problems like this:

How to troubleshoot subscription-manager and yum issues

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/solutions/189533

I hope you find these helpful and get you back and updating correctly!

Regards,

Chris

Hi Jan,

I'm expecting it's filled as it has been picked up by default configuration. It's available on a list of available channels.

In case it's not prepared or configured correctly - it shouldn't be available at all. Is my understanding correct?

Anyway, let me try to things:

- read and check solution from second answer (thank you for it!)

- switch to 6.3 channel and check if problem exists 

I'll keep you updated.

Thank you, appriciate your answers.

Regards,

-Artur.

Chris,

Thank you for your answer. I have never used Subscription Manager before and have been supprised by this component. 

I have disabled RHN and tried to use Subscription Manager. Unfortunately there was too many problems with it (bottom line is that yum have complained for evey single repository created by system in this configuration). I went through all available KBs (eg. time synchronization, certificates managment etc.. etc..). No luck. Decided to try it another time in the future.

RHN Classic is doing well at this moment.

In case somebody will have the same problem.

• I have made sure I'm not subscribed to anything and unregisterd from Subscription Manager
    • subscription-manager unsubscribe --all
    • subscription-manager unregister
  • Disabled it in yum
    • edit /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/subscription-manager.conf and change enabled=1 to enabled=0
  • Cleaned yum cache
    • rm -fr /var/cache/yum/*
    • yum clean all
  • Registered it again with RHN
    • rhn_register
  • Run yum repo list to see repositoires. yum grouplist is working as well

Thank you,

Regards,

-Artur.

Hi Artur, thanks for providing your solution. Hopefully it will be helpful to someone else encountering the same problem.

See comments also in this solution. I made a yum repo with the RHEL 7.2 ISO yesterday with the xml file for groups. See the comments at https://access.redhat.com/solutions/42196

Close

Welcome! Check out the Getting Started with Red Hat page for quick tours and guides for common tasks.