Please retain a "classic" desktop option

Latest response

GNOME 3 has a design very different from previous releases and can be very confusing to users. Please keep a desktop option that works the way RHEL 3/4/5/6 have. For those who manage workstations, radically changing the user interface will incur a high cost in support, training and redoing documentation.

I'm fine if GNOME 3 is in RHEL 7. This is not intended to be a GNOME 3 criticism disccusion. I need an option for a "classic" desktop for my user population.

Responses

Our user testing with Gnome 3 has been pretty rough.  No one in my organization approves of Gnome 3, especially since it seems to take more mouse clicks to accomplish basic tasks (we have to press the alt key, then click on the user name to shut down our system?). 

I would like to see the fallback mode improved upon and have that as the default DE.  Or put some resources behind XFCE.

Also agreed. It would be nice if the admin could choose GNOME 3 or either KDE 4.6 or XFCE.

Something lightweight included with the distro would be nice.

Not having any choice between GNOME and TWM is not good, preferably something that is not a full blown 'Desktop Environment'.

My vote is for Fluxbox.

Hi

gnome-shell does allow for extensions , in this case alternative-status-menu .

fallback mode offers a lot less features, and frankly broken in comparison to gnome3. This will most likely still be provided, as gnome shell requires h/w rendering .

reference:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Extensions

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Gnome_shell_software_rendering

Maybe a decent Gnome3 fallback mode could be used as default in the "non-desktop" deployments..

Fedora 15 actually includes two window managers (WM): 

- Mutter (compositing WM)

- IceWM (legacy/non-compositing WM)

It uses IceWM if you don't have a compatible AIGLX capability, or disable the Mutter compositing WM.  I suspect EL7 would adopt the same.

I.e., IceWM under GNOME 3 is fast, lean and doesn't use your 3D framebuffer.

That's not to say GNOME 3's Mutter isn't fast.  It's quite fast, as long as you have 3D.  But it can suck up the power, depending on your GPU.  That's why I don't always use it.

I invite everyone to try it if you haven't.  This is one of the most under-reported options in GNOME 3.

The fallback, non-compositing window manager is metacity, same as in GNOME 2.

Oh, I must be mistaken.  I thought IceWM was running.  I may have something in my user's ~/.X* configuration.  I will verify the next time I'm on that system.

XFCE, LXDE, IceWM, etc. anything that we can use inside of a virtual environment and that doesn't require 500Mb+ of dependencies... would be nice.

Huge e17 fan myself, but I don't expect that to find its way into Enterprise linux anytime soon.

LXDE, XFCE if a DE is necessary; fluxbox, openbox if a WM is sufficient.

DEFINITELY need to have a classic gnome 2.x.x option available, I don't think its a good idea to go gnome 3 gnome-shell only on the server side just yet.

Most of the admins I talk to, when asked about the desktop in their servers, want none at all.

What do you use the desktop for on your servers?

2 Answers:

1. Oracle installs require X - not necessarily an entire desktop mind you.

2. Who says this is just for servers?  RHEV is pushing the whole virtualised desktop at the moment.

Having said that . . . I'm fully in favour of running Gnome 3.0.  I don't see the problems with it.  It's new - sure.  It's got teething problems - sure.  I can see it getting better and more polished by RHEL7, however, so I don't see the need to panic.

Honestly, all a user needs is twm and xterm on a server. From what we have seen, users do install gnome/kde as they are more comfortable with a full blown desktop than a minimal one.

Cheers

I would love to see this too but disappointingly, it's is not technically possible. Due to the apps and libraries associated with GNOME, a distro either needs to run 2.x or 3.x.

Check out BlueBubble, bringing 2.32 back to Fedora 15: http://k3rnel.net/tag/bluebubble/

Maybe MATE is a possible way to go, since it is a fork of Gnome 2.32.

I agree, MATE has to be the way forward!