Disks not appearing on install

Latest response

Hi, im trying to install rhel and on the disks screen no disks appear and if i go into a tty and run lsblk the only disk that appears is the usb im using to install rhel, i want to install rhel and im not sure what to do, any help is appreciated!

Responses

Hi Julian,

Do you by chance want to install RHEL on a NVME SSD ? On some machines those drives are not recognized !
Please check if adding nvme_load=YES to the boot parameters before booting the USB solves the problem. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi, I am not trying to use an nvme as my storage but I am using what seems to be a scsi adaptor for my drives but even if I use a normal sata cable they still don't appear?

Hi Julian,

Unfortunately I cannot provide you with properly working instructions, because I don't know
enough about your hardware. What you can do is checking the BIOS settings and make sure
that AHCI mode is enabled. Also you may want to check the cables and the disks in order to
make sure they are fully functional. Normal SATA disks should be detected by the installer. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Julian,

Would it be possible to share further details on your setup? For instance 01) Disk interface (SATA, SAS, IDE...) 02) Are you using an adapter to convert the disk to USB, for instance? 03) Is the BIOS working as a legacy BIOS or EFI

Best regards, Gerardo Marciales

Hi, i am using a poweredge 840 and it has a legacy bios and the drives are being attached via a scsi adapter (i think) but if i use a sata adapter connected to the board they still dont appear in the installed, both drives (my ssd boot drive and my mass storage hard drive) are both working but they dont appear, however im not sure if the bios is set to AHCI mode but i will check once i can.

Edit: the "Scsi adapter" is actually a PCI-EXPRESS SAS RAID CONTROLLER source

Hi Julian,

If the adapter is a RAID controller, then the BIOS setting should be RAID of course. :)
Not sure if it's possible to install a supported edition of RHEL on this machine at all ...

Regards,
Christian

Thanks for sharing further details. I wonder, does the BIOS / RAID controller card show the disk in question?

Hi Julian,

Please note that the latest supported RHEL edition on DELL PowerEdge 840 is RHEL 5 ! :)
That might explain the trouble you are facing ... Which RHEL version do you want to install ?

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

I am looking to install rhel 8 on my PE840, I know it's not exactly supported but I was willing to hack a solution together since I have had great experience with rhel servers in the past.

Thanks, Julian

Julian,

My experience with Dell servers and presenting disks, generally there's a RAID bios and you have to present the disks using the RAID BIOS tool. See Christian's good point above. Recommend using current hardware. I'd make sure your system uses the most current edition of RHEL where possible. For the Dell (or other systems) we use with a RAID bios, you have to carefully watch and press whatever key combination is appropriate for your hardware to enter the RAID bios right at boot. You must be very-ready and catch it when it comes up, one must be prompt with this, or they have to reboot the system and wait for their window-of-opportunity moment to try again. Once you've entered the RAID bios, you use that tool to appropriately present the disk. Remember to initialize the drive - and if possible use quick initialization or it takes a considerable amount of time!

Regards,
RJ

Hello RJ,

Thanks for your response, I will definitely have to check if there is a way to present my disks with the SAS/RAID card preconfigured with my machine.

Cheers, Julian

Thanks to every ones responses and help, I finally found a driver for my sas card the dd-mptsas driver here thank you everyone for your help!

Reguards, Julian

Great Julian ! I'm glad that you found a solution. And once again Akemi's ELRepo offering could help out. :)

Regards,
Christian

Glad you got it resolved Julian,

Regards,
RJ