How to setup logging for TFTP daemon under /etc/xinetd.d/tftp?

Latest response

Using RHEL 8.1 as a PXE Boot Server to try and Kickstart a number of Servers.

We are having issues with TFTP and want to troubleshoot, and have tried to add logging. I've used the following Red Hat solution and think its needs more info (I've also added a number of comments):

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/451773

Since Xinetd is controlling TFTP, do we want to setup the logging details under /etc/rsyslog.conf or /etc/xinetd.d/tftp?

When I've setup logging under /etc/rsyslog.conf like the following examples:

daemon.* /var/log/tftp.log
ftp.* /var/log/tftp.log

Both daemon.* and ftp.* proved to be too noisy and a lot of entries that were slated for /var/log/messages ended up under /var/log/tftp.log too.

Right now I'm using the following entry under /etc/rsyslog.conf:

tftpd.*  /var/log/tftp.log 

And I'm getting the same results.

I don't see any clear examples on how to setup logging under /etc/xinetd.d/tftp as I want to try that.

thanks

Responses

Hello Christopher,

Can you try the following: set /etc/xinetd.d/tftp with this option:

log_type  = FILE <path_to_log_file>

Best wishes,

Dusan Baljevic (amateur radio VK2COT)

Dusan, that seemed to have worked. For those that are coming behind me, this is the line that I added:

vim /etc/xinetd.d/tftp

log_type = tftp.log /var/log/tftp.log

systemctl restart xientd.service && systemctl status xientd.service

I tested with tftp client from another RHEL workstation and watched tftp.log and it appears successful.

I looked under RHEL8 documentation for more info for xinetd.d along with man pages. Can't find more info. Looking online seems like you can setup more verbose logs with log_on_failure and log_on_success, but not sure how.

Also if any Red Hatters are reading this, can the following Solution possibly get updated:

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/451773

thanks

UPDATE: Checked the log this morning and still getting alot of entries from /var/log/messages. I've restarted rsyslog and tftp daemon just to check that the changes I've made are being picked up.