32-bit glibc-header and glibc-common rpm

Latest response

I'm trying to install 32-bit rpms for a test program onto a Red Hat 7.7 machine and I don't see the 32-bit version available to download. I'm looking for the 292 versions and can't find them anywhere. I'm required to install them with rpm and not yum.

RPMS
glibc-headers-2.17-292.el7.i686.rpm
glibc-common-2.17-292.el7.i686.rpm

Are these available anywhere on the red hat site? I only see the 64-bit versions.

thanks,
Robert

Responses

Hi Robert,

Yes, natively only 64 bit packages are installed on RHEL7/8 systems. However, any 32 bit packages could be installed. More details on this link

I did a check on my RHEL7.8 system and found that glibc-headers & gllibc-common doesn't have 32 bit variant:

[root@test ~]# yum search glibc
Loaded plugins: product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager
================================================================ N/S matched: glibc =================================================================
glibc-common.x86_64 : Common binaries and locale data for glibc
compat-glibc.x86_64 : Compatibility C library
compat-glibc-headers.x86_64 : Header files for development using standard C libraries.
glibc.i686 : The GNU libc libraries
glibc.x86_64 : The GNU libc libraries
glibc-devel.i686 : Object files for development using standard C libraries.
glibc-devel.x86_64 : Object files for development using standard C libraries.
glibc-headers.x86_64 : Header files for development using standard C libraries.
glibc-static.i686 : C library static libraries for -static linking.
glibc-static.x86_64 : C library static libraries for -static linking.
glibc-utils.x86_64 : Development utilities from GNU C library
kdesdk-kmtrace.x86_64 : Assist with malloc debugging using glibc's "mtrace" functionality
kernel-headers.x86_64 : Header files for the Linux kernel for use by glibc
latrace.i686 : LD_AUDIT feature frontend for glibc 2.4+
latrace.x86_64 : LD_AUDIT feature frontend for glibc 2.4+

Name and summary matches only, use "search all" for everything.

You might have to download from glibc site and compile it, but not sure how does this works since platform is 64 bit one. Let's see what the community & Red Hat technical team would say about this.

The CentOS Project provides 32-bit RPMs:

• http://vault.centos.org/altarch/7.7.1908/os/i386/Packages/glibc-common-2.17-292.el7.i686.rpm
  • http://vault.centos.org/altarch/7.7.1908/os/i386/Packages/glibc-headers-2.17-292.el7.i686.rpm

Yes, that is true. CentOS 7 currently supports x86_64. The AltArch Special Interest Group has community maintained (non-official) versions of CentOS 7 for i686, armhfp (Arm32), aarch64 (Arm64), ppc64le, and ppc64. More details on this link