RHEL 8.2 Boot Failing

Latest response

I have been using RHEL 8 for a while on my laptop for developing. Up until yesterday this was working without issue.

Yesterday however I carried out the update to 8.2 using Yum. This on the face of it appeared to work fine until I rebooted. After rebooting I got stuck on the initial Red Hat screen. Pressing escape showed that the boot process got stuck with the message:

A start job is running for monitoring of LVM2

I attempted to boot using the 8.1 kernel but this failed for the same reason.

I have also completely wiped the drive and installed a fresh copy of 8.2. Installation worked fine however when the system attempts to boot I end up with the same issue as above.

I have scouted about but unable to find resolution for the issue. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the issue.

FYI Red Hat is dual booted with Windows 10. Looking at the update history it does not appear that any Windows updates have occured between the times RHEL was known to work and when it stopped. Everything seems to point to it being related to 8.2 (although I may try installing 8.1 again to prove the case)

Responses

Have you tried booting the "rescue" kernel instead of the 8.1 or 8.2 kernels? I ended up doing that to recover a server from a situation where the LVM root had been converted from a simple volume to a RAID-1 mirror, then patched to current (RHEL 8.2) - but when 'dracut' built the new initramfs file, it failed to include the now-required md-raid kernel module. The 'rescue' kernel for RHEL 8.x seems have many more modules built-in by default (including LVM & RAID support) that may be omitted from 'normal' kernels if for some reason 'dracut' fails to notice that they are required.

If you can boot from the rescue kernel, it might just be a simple matter of forcing dracut to include some required modules, then rebuilding the initramfs ('dracut -v -f').

Unfortunately the rescue kernel has the same behaviour.

And bugger, I opened a ticket for this issue and they have told me dual booting is not supported and to follow an article that guides on how to set it up (which would require logging into RHEL to change configuration after installation, which this issue is preventing me from doing at all.)

OK, the only options I can think of here involve booting off of the full install DVD (media or thumb drive copy), and using the "rescue" mode of the installer. (that "rescue" mode is a more fully-working copy of the OS with many troubleshooting tools available, unlike the "light" rescue kernel; not quite a "live CD", but much closer). It should allow you to determine if the disk partitions & LVM PVs, VGs, and LVs (and the file systems on them) are still all "healthy", or if something needs to be done to repair them. Assuming the file system(s) are intact, it will also allow you to make any required configuration changes before trying to reboot again.