Red Hat High-Availability Clustering without SAN, HP MSA 2052 Storage

Latest response

Hello,
I"m trying to configure budget saving HA clustering for Oracle.
The idea is to get rid of 2 SAN switches, but directly attach FC HBA connection from servers to HP MSA 2052 storage.

Basically, I have following and please check the attached image of layout. Will this work?

Servers:
1 pair of HP servers for WAS, each server has single dual FC HBA card
1 pair of HP servers for Oracle DB, each server has single dual FC HBA card
1 HP MSA storage with 5TB. It will host two datastores, Oracle DB and WAS data. It also has redundant controllers, each controller has 4 FC HBA ports.

Wit this setup, will I be able to configure RHEL clustering Active-Passive for Oracle DB?
Will there be any issue sharing LUN between the server pairs and failover?

Design layout

Responses

Hello,

I'm not familiar with the Oracle layout you're attempting to achieve here, but let's approach this from a general RHEL HA standpoint. The general requirement for a bare-bones RHEL ha configuration are:

2x Server with RHEL and High Availability entitlements (1 each per node)

A network switch for communication between the 2 cluster nodes

And that's it. You can configure an application to fail over between these two nodes without even using shared or replicated storage if they're based on a stateful, unchanging config that can be duplicated locally on both servers(such as a basic webserver)

In a normal HA Oracle database configuration that we usually see, the storage is backed by a SAN or some other backing store and presented to both nodes simultaneously (via whatever method is necessary for the backing store). At that point, depending on the type of storage, it's then managed either by the ha environment via lvm and filesystem resources so it can be failed over from one node to the other, or managed by the application its self if that's how the application works. I'm not familiar with a WAS store, so I'm not sure what is required to manage that in an HA capacity, but from a general overview, this configuration looks appropriate for the Oracle DB so long as the storage is appropriately available during failover.

For more specific POC planning, it may be helpful to reach out to our pre-sales team and schedule a conversation with a solutions architect.