Lenovo Ideapad s740

Latest response

Hi!

I'm wondering where to get drivers for the Ideapad s740; previously I was running RHEL 7.7 and I would get a few start up errors that said my cpu was too hot; also I get no audio, the fingerprint doesn't work and the fan on my laptop would turn on aggressively after being on for a couple hours; lastly my battery only lasts a couple hours. I updated to RHEL 8.1 with hopes of improvement but it's the same, except now my mouse freezes at odd moments.

Is there anything I could do, I do like this laptop quite a bit but It's not too late to return it (I'd really rather not, I really like the number pad, the removable ram, and the 6 cores; plus it looks cool too, compared to the other Lenovo Thinkpads that are supported).

Thanks!

Responses

Hi Charles,

You know, it can be "this and that" ... but most probably these issues might be related to the (NVIDIA) graphics adapter.
Please check if one of the two workarounds improve the user experience or solve the problems. Start with the first one.

Add nouveau.modeset=0 to the boot parameters before booting the system. If it works - good - if it doesn't - try this :
Add nomodeset to the boot parameters before booting. Please report back the results for further troubleshooting ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks for your help! I did try both and I got the same error:

$ dmesg |grep nouveau
[    2.936288] nouveau: detected PR support, will not use DSM
[    2.936304] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0106 -> 0107)
[    2.936459] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: unknown chipset (167000a1)
[    2.936475] nouveau: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -12

As an update I am using RHEL 7.7 now, it works a bit better, but I also need it to run cadance software.

Also when I used ~~~ nomodeset ~~~ it said that command couldn't be found.

Hi Charles,

nomodeset is not a command, it is a boot parameter option. When the GRUB boot menu appears, mark the boot
entry, press the E key and add the parameter at the end of the line beginning with linuxefi. Then press Ctrl + X to
boot. :)

Regards,
Christian

I was able to blacklist nouveau from grub by typing 'e' then adding ~~~nouveau.modeset=0~~~ to the BOOT_IMAGE line.

BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.10.0-1062.el7.x86_64 root=/dev/mapper/rhel-root ro crashkernel=auto spectre_v2=retpoline rd.lvm.lv=rhel/root rd.lvm.lv=rhel/swap rhgb quiet rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0

So I think one of the error is fixed; but I also went a little overboard and updated the nvidea driver too, using the directions from https://access.redhat.com/solutions/1155663 . I think there is no difference between the two, but I'm not sure. I'm still trying to figure out the audio problem and the fingerprint problem.

Hi Charles,

Fingerprint readers (especially on newer hardware) are known to not work properly on Linux systems. I suggest
that you contact the lenovo support team, and ask them if they are providing a Linux driver for your machine. :)

Regards,
Christian

After running sh alsa-info.sh I get the following:

http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=0302dc86c8818a9c7051abda7baed35a2cc76190

After running:

curl https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/raw/master/src/utils/pa-info?inline=false | bash | nc termbin.com 9999

https://termbin.com/gtmk

Hi Charles,

Execute alsamixer in a terminal and check if selecting another sound device solves the problem.
Eventually the default option points to a HDMI device, I have seen this happening in some cases. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian, Thanks for your help! I have two options for "sound card" default and HDA Intel PCH. I also tried using audio in an HDMI external display but it too didn't work. I haven't tried any testing in any other OS, is there a way to verify this is an OS problem without having to install another OS?

Thanks! Charles

Hi Charles,

I doubt that it's a RHEL specific problem, RHEL is based on fedora and audio works properly on
most machines. Well, what you can do to test if it has something to do with some RHEL specific
configurations would be to download Fedora 31 Workstation Live, burn it onto a USB drive, boot
from the USB drive and test if audio is working. That avoids the installation of another system. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Charles,

Regarding the NVIDIA adapter ... you may want to check out if the drivers from RPM Fusion are an alternative solution. They are
packaged in a way that they work properly on Red Hat based systems. First remove the original NVIDIA drivers, reboot and then
install the drivers from RPM Fusion. Reboot again and check if everything - except the fingerprint reader - works as expected. :)

Regards,
Christian