DE

Latest response

Hello guys,

I installed finally rhel 8.1 on my laptop.

Now i am choosing DE perfect for me.

I want to try KDE plasma. how to install it from terminal?

and have it dark mode?

what is recommended which DE is better?

Thanks a lot.

and which tools, system managing, text editors , terminals is advised? what is most useful tools for best to try?

p.s. should i enable them to download apps from Software Application?

i would like to install discord telegram and etc but when i searching them on Software Application they are not listed.

see screeDEnshot please.

Responses

HI David,

Welcome to the discussion forum. Red Hat has ditched KDE. EDITED - KDE might be in EPEL, see links in additional posts below I have not explored it, but there is likely an unsupported method to push KDE into RHEL, but it might break with updates, or you might have to maintain it yourself. I have some users who are really not happy with KDE being ditched with RHEL 8, but that is something Red Hat decided to do.

For anyone who might use GNOME, this link has some more background on GNOME settings/functions.

A request for XFCE on RHEL 8 has been recommended, yet we'll see if that becomes available (maybe through EPEL?)

EDITED - see links in next post for xfce in EPEL 8 . Someone has taken the time to backport XFCE from Fedora to RHEL 8 (I will post back if I find it in EPEL, as well as "mate" or "cinnamon"). Make sure you keep EPEL enabled if you do install this from EPEL because your updates will have issues if you install any of these without keeping EPEL enabled.

As far as dark theme or not, much of this is personal preference. Installing "gnome-tweaks" (not installed by default) will give you the ability to do that (some of this in the links above). Text editors. I like VIM, but others like other things. Go with what you like. That being said, the most skilled admins I know have the ability to functionally use VI or VIM.

As far as what means to install them, dnf is available which arguably has more features than yum, yet yum still exists, and I seem to keep using that. Another great poster in this forum, Christian Labisch I think has been using dnf more.

Regarding what you mentioned about "discord telegram and etc" installation, I would believe if those are available, there might be repos from each of those projects. I'm pretty sure you ought to be able to use discord from a web interface. I realize you might want the app, but I've never installed it on Linux. According to this, discord is not yet available for RHEL 8. .

Regarding terminals, I use the standard terminal program that comes with GNOME, but "terminator" exists and comes with Red Hat (I think in their official channels, I'll check). https://terminator-gtk3.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ reference only, do not download it from this source, use yum install terminator

Question, for system monitoring, were you interested in local system managing? Or did you want to manage a collection of systems? What did you have in mind for what you describe as "system managing"?

Regards

RJ

Thanks for your responses man.

i meant "system managing" something maintenance of system. like cleaning or something like that.

OK i will use Gnome, its quit uncomfortable when surfing between opened window but no problem.

i will use their web interface as u mentioned above.

using dnf command is same as yum? for example dnf install gnome-tweaks right?

what about a screenshot in my post? should them enabled and which ones?

David, here are some additional links...

These may or may not be supported by Red Hat. Incidentally, make sure to back up any data you care about on your Linux system routinely and test/have the ability to perform restores. I say this in case something breaks.

Also, consider Fedora (the upstream project from Red Hat) and it's various spins if you are interested in various desktop alternatives. They have many "spins" for various nice desktop environments.

Years ago, and to date, people occasionally publish adding various programs, functions to Linux distros and name it as "distro-name-goes-here perfect desktop"

Hope this helps,

Regards
RJ

what about backups and for syncs? is it possible from terminal, i think it possible from Terminal , but how?

or should install apps for backups and sync?

rsync is good one as i researched.

Hi David,

Please open new threads when you have new questions. That helps other members finding relevant answers too. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi David,

Welcome to our community ! :) RJ has provided you with great and comprehensive explanations and information. Thank you for
that RJ, it will help other users who come across this thread a lot too - I'm sure. Please let me a add a recommendation, David ...

Do NOT install another desktop on top of GNOME, it is possible, yes ... BUT : This would most probably break some stuff in one
or another scenario. You can find a lot of related problems being reported in various forums on the internet. You'd better follow
RJ's suggestion to install a Fedora spin in case you want to use a different desktop environment. If you want to stick with RHEL,
I recommend to get used to use the GNOME DE, Red Hat provides the most contributions to upstream GNOME, and the DE is
baked perfectly in RHEL systems, which means - under the hood GNOME is deeply integrated into Red Hat Enterprise Linux. :)

Regards,
Christian

thanks for recommendations. i will stick on Gnome. i installed gnome tool tweak and it is fine ,

You're welcome, David ! Good decision ... :)

i now wonder why that software repositories disabled as shown in my screenshot above?

should i enable them?

Hi David,

By default the RHEL BaseOS and the AppStream repositories are enabled, everything else is optional. :)
I recommend to enable at least the CodeReadyBuilder repository to gain access to additional packages.

sudo subscription-manager repos --enable codeready-builder-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms

This is what you need ... other RHEL repos you won't need. You may want to add EPEL and RPM Fusion.

Regards,
Christian