evaluation licence

Latest response

Good evening,

I downloaded the RHEL 6 evaluation copy today to check whether it would install on my Thinkpad no probs. Everythings worked fine so I jumped the gun and purchased the RHEL 6 Workstation licence however now I'm unsure whether I will have to do a reinstallation after my evaluation licence is going to expire?

I searched the RH knowledgebase and found this https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/2009

If you have installed a version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS/ES/WS or Red Hat Desktop and would like to change your evaluation subscription to a fully supported, purchased subscription, you should not have to re-install the operating system. If you maintain the same product then re-installing should not be an issue. For example, your evaluation was Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES and you want to purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES.

I don't think I had the option to download the workstation eval so I picked Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (v. 6 for 64-bit x86_64)

I currently customizing my system and I'd rather not have to do it all over again when the trial licence runs out.

Can anybody let me know if I need to download the workstation iso and whether I can keep the current installation.

Thanks,

Sven

Responses

I think you'll be fine. Only thing you need to be aware of is that you will be limited to 8GB of RAM and a single CPU socket. Also no access to server subscription components.

Sven - I don't know this for certain, but I believe you are going to have to re-install using the correct media/iso. Unfortunately you are not simply converting an eval subscription to a supported one, you are changing versions as well (Workstation vs Server). I recommend either calling Customer Service (1-888-REDHAT1, option 5) or email customerservice@redhat.com and explain what brought you to this point.

Also - there is Workstation, Client and Desktop on the website (which I find confusing). From what I can tell, Workstation is the full Desktop release, Client is a subset of that... and I'm not sure what Desktop is ;-)

Not sure if you are aware, but you should be able to dump your command line history of what packages you installed, etc.. by entering "history" on the command line. You also can look in /root/anaconda-ks.cfg to see what options you used at build time - but keep in mind that file is specific to server (if that is what you installed) and would need to be updated for Workstation. That may help you rebuild your system. I believe you can tar up your home directory and move that between the different releases, without issue, if you customized your desktop quite a bit.

Thanks David and James, after I purchased the licence the workstation ISO became available to I downloaded and reinstalled not that big a deal anyway just to be on the safe side. From what I gathered I had to go with the workstation as my system has more than 8 gigs. Everything up and running now really enjoying RHEL.

Hey all!

I know this has already been resolved, but for RHEL 6 there is "Workstation" and "Client" (aka Desktop) - only two. Take a look at:

http://www.redhat.com/products/enterprise-linux/desktop/compare.html

Sven - if you initially installed a Workstation eval with Workstation bits, you didn't have to re-install, only unsubscribe and re-subscribe the machine to RHN to the new subscription since the bits would have been the same. Client to Workstation would have required some changes to the bits in order for registration/subscribing/updating to work. This hasn't been tested by Red Hat QA.

In addition to the technical guidlines, the "Client" (or Desktop) variant has a smaller subset of available packages compared to the "Workstation" variant due to use cases. A lot of the packages only used for beefy systems would be a waste.

Also, Workstation and Server are more similar, but the use cases are very different between them. The expectation is that Workstation systems are run as a single-user, not a server. See https://access.redhat.com/site/articles/54175 for information about this.

Finally, If the hardware is listed as a Server in the Hardware Catalog, it should be using the Server variant:

http://www.redhat.com/products/enterprise-linux/server/compare.html

Hope this helps! :-)

Andrius.

evaluation subscription redhat can be converted genuine license after got license