Dual Boot Rhel 7.7 and Windows 10

Latest response

Hi,
I use windows 10 and windows server 2012 R2 in Dual boot.
Now I Shrink Volume 97 GP "unallocated space" and I Install RHEL 7.7

But i can not find my Windows boot. I follow some configuration that bellow

This comment:

fdisk -l
blkid
vim /etc/grub.d/40_cusstom
menuentry “WindowsServer” {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=’hd0,msdos1′
search –no-floppy –fs-uuid –set=root 98A427C2A427A1AC
chainloader +1
}
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2.cfg
Not working
Computer Information:

Bios Mode = UEFI
Company = dell
Configuration = corei3, 4GB Ram, 7 Generation
Partition = GPT

This is my Dell service tag : 8ckzw32 (you can check dell site)
It is better to see my laptop configuration.
Thanks
Ashraful

Responses

Security Advise!

Hello Ashraful,

This is a semi open customer forum. Do not publish personal details like passwords, userid/usernames or Service Tags (or other vendor specific Tags), it may expose laptop specific vulnerabilities.

Share Service Tags or credentials only, if requested in a support case. NEVER in this forum or in support cases without a specific request.

Please remove it asap.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

About your issue, I prefer virtualisation over multiboot. You have much better control over the disk usage. If you do not like the setup of the RHEL installation, you can just reinstall the virtual machine in about 10 minutes, without waiting for the BIOS of the laptop to reinitialize all the hardware, you have all the Windows applications you may want to getter with the RHEL stuf.

E.g. if you prefer Word over Libreoffice just switch to another VM or the "hypervisor".

You can choose for RHEL 7.7 with KVM and Win10 and Win2012 as guests or Windows 2012 with HyperV or VMWare Workstation. I would not recommend VirtualBox, for VirtualBox 6.x guest tools and RHEL 7.7 causing issues at the moment.

If you choose Windows as the host OS to run HyperV or VMWare Workstation check which versions support RHEL 7.7

Multiboot, has always given me issues that took very long to solve, if the RHEL installer failed to detect the Windows boot loader. Since my machines where capable to run VMWare Workstation for Linux and later XEN or KVM I dropped multiboot completely.

4GB of RAM will allow you to have 1 VM with 1 GB of allocated RAM active besides the host applications.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi Ashraful,

I completely agree with Jan Gerrit - dual boot is too much of a hassle ... better use KVM on RHEL and install Windows in a VM. :)

Regards,
Christian