Snap and flathub package manager

Latest response

Is it good idea to install Snap and Flathub package manager in RHEL 8. This will compromise system security? Please advice

Responses

Hi Sayed,

Possible ? Yes ... Recommended ? Not exactly ... snap is mainly designed for (and runs best on) ubuntu, so better use (only)
flatpak. You want to know why ? :) Jack Wallen/TechRepublic : Fedora's answer to Snap Packages only begs more questions

Regards,
Christian

Hi Sayed,

To address your (valid) security concerns : In order to install snaps you have to set SELinux to permissive mode.
Or you have to disable SELinux completely, and - that's pretty much the opposite of secure, so better do not. :)

Regards,
Christian

Thank you. I won't install those. I wanted those mainly for "jetbrains IDE". I found work arround for that. I can download zip filea and run from command line (there is .sh file: can be run without sudo privilege)

You're welcome, Sayed ... I'm glad to read that you have found an alternative (safer) solution. :)

Regards,
Christian

Currently I am waiting for RHEL 8.1 and evaluating different options. I formated my Laptop and installed Ubuntu. I love RedHat a lot (I care about security and Stability a lot) but more package is available on Ubuntu (daily use application: more enterprise grade software available in redhat). So I am evaluating different solution now. Thank you for helping me out. Can you please suggest me....is it possible to join your linkdin network? "https://www.linkedin.com/in/sayed-anowar-267477129" My linkdin url

Hi Sayed,

I don't use LinkedIn, I created an account during the onboarding process to the Accelerators program just in
case it might be needed ... fortunately it was not. I care a lot about privacy and security and I want Microsoft
to have as little information about myself as possible. If you want to get in touch with me, provide me with a
mail address - of course only if you want. Once I've reached out to you, you can edit out the address here. :)

Regards,
Christian

Thank you for being so kind to me

Sure thing ... you're welcome, Sayed ! :)

If you like Red Hat but you would like more software available for typical desktop usage then I would suggest you take a look at Fedora. For Red Hat the available software is very limited and you have to use Flathub in order to install even common GNOME applications which come bundled in other distros.

Good suggestion, Panos ! I'm running fedora (30 currently) workstation and it's just amazing ... :)

Regards,
Christian

I try to convience my friend and colleagues to use Linux. Problem is, Windows user don't care about security and privacy (people still use pirated software on their own PC even if they are in IT industry). I don't get it why most of IT company use Windows Server and Desktop OS.

Hi Sayed,

I think many people still use Windows simply because they are used to use it. Once they have discovered the advantages they experience after having switched to Linux, they won't look back. They just need to start ... :)

Regards,
Christian

I want my work env to be Linux. I asked management team why they are not using linux as all company care about security then why windows? they are highly dependent upon Microsoft technologies (mail id {outlook: office 365 subscription for all employee}, azure as cloud, all desktop and laptop or server runs on Windows {even in Citrix env they use windows server 2019}, onedrive as cloud storage and lot more). We have to work very hard to change that.

Fedora 30 in particular is a great release with a lot of new versions of software available.

The only issue with Fedora is that sometimes during the lifetime of a release they introduce major updates without extensive testing that create problems to existing installations that were previously stable. If they had a somewhat more conservative approach and introduced these updates to the upcoming releases instead I think that this distro would be more widely used.

Thank you. I will definitely try Fedora. But sometime I need to run VM (to try other linux destro or windows(I hate windows but in rare situation I need it as my work env use windows here in India (for trying Windows exclusive software)) {I need virtual OS for less than two hours a week though}. that's why I was thinking about stability and security also. for Daily use, I have another laptop for other daily use. I want to use that for development {Sometime I code to automate my manual work} (I am hobbyist only, not actual developer). Please suggest me.

Hi Sayed,

I'm running fedora workstation on my production machine for years now and I can definitely
recommend it. Regarding security and stability while providing the latest available software
at the same time ... all I can say is : no other project beats fedora here. Running Windows in
a virtual machine ? No problem, fedora comes with KVM virtualization out-of-the-box ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Is Fedora is also secure as RHEL? Because security is very important for me (that is the main reason I am leaving Ubuntu). Please suggest me. Thank you for helping me out

Hi Sayed,

Just to let you know ... fedora is the upstream project for Red Hat and fedora can be considered
the lab or playground for what later becomes Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Is it secure ? Yes it is ! :)

Regards,
Christian

If I install flathub will it cause Red Hat to be less secure

Not at all. Flatpak applications are isolated from the rest of the system since they run in a sandbox.

THANK YOU