Leapp Upgrade from RHEL 7.7 to RHEL 8

Latest response

I am trying to upgrade my system from RHEL 7.7 to RHEL 8 as per the instructions provided in Upgrading to RHEL 8

However I am encountering following error :

# leapp preupgrade
Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, subscription-manager
============================================================
                           ERRORS                           

2019-08-19 15:00:24.363331 [ERROR] Actor: target_userspace_creator Message: A subscription-manager command failed to execute
Detail: {u'hint': u'Please ensure you have a valid RHEL subscription and your network is up.'}

END OF ERRORS                        

A report has been generated at /var/log/leapp/leapp-report.txt

A report has been generated at /var/log/leapp/leapp-report.json

END OF REPORT                        

I do have a valid RedHat Developer Valid subscription :

# subscription-manager list
+-------------------------------------------+
    Installed Product Status
+-------------------------------------------+
Product Name:   Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server
Product ID:     69
Version:        7.7
Arch:           x86_64
Status Details: 
Starts:         11/29/2018
Ends:           11/29/2019
# subscription-manager release
Release: 7.7

Could you please help me figure out the error with the upgrade and solution to it

Regards,

LuckyDudeThakur

https://twitter.com/@LuckyDudeThakur
https://www.linkedin.com/in/luckydudethakur

Responses

Assuming you have a valid RHEL subscription it is probably worth submitting a support request to Red Hat because it isn't clear that RHEL 7.7 is supported in leapp - the document you linked to only mentions RHEL 7.6

Hi Abhishek,

Although it is possible to upgrade from RHEL 7, it is not recommended to upgrade from one major version to the next.
Especially not in the case of RHEL 8 ... too many things changed under the hood. Please perform a fresh installation. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hello Christian, Although I am currently running RHEL 7.7 on my personal desktop, and wish to upgrade that to RHEL 8 , what is the best practice in case of production servers ? Should production servers be upgraded or its better to decommission old RHEL 7 ones and get fresh ones with RHEL 8 instead - I am talking about bare metal scenario , not the cloud/virtualization/containers scenario ? Regards,

LuckyDudeThakur

https://twitter.com/@LuckyDudeThakur https://www.linkedin.com/in/luckydudethakur

Hi Abhishek,

Generally it is recommended to always run the latest stable edition. In case of RHEL 8 I would
recommend to wait until the first point release will be available, RHEL 8.1 (currently in beta) is
expected to be released later this year. So, on a production server, I would stick with RHEL 7.7
until RHEL 8.1 gets released. And at that point I would perform a clean (fresh) installation ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Hello, Please note that the in-place upgrade from RHEL 7.7 to RHEL 8 is unsupported. Currently, only upgrade from RHEL 7.6 is supported. It is documented in this section https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html-single/upgrading_to_rhel_8/index#requirements-upgrading-to-rhel-8

Note the link to the planned upgrade paths document.

Best regards, Lenka

The message you're seeing is incorrect. It's a bug in Leapp. You should be seeing an error message saying "Unsupported OS version. The supported OS versions for the upgrade process: 7.6". https://github.com/oamg/leapp-repository/issues/300 We're working on fixing that.

Hello again, I added this problem to the list of known issues: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/upgrading_to_rhel_8/troubleshooting_upgrading-to-rhel-8#known-issues-upgrading-to-rhel-8

Thank you all!

When will the upgrade from RHEL 7.7 be available? More than 2 months have passed...

The article https://access.redhat.com/articles/4263361 (which is linked to from one of the links above) suggests that the supported update paths will be from and/or to EUS releases, so there is no guarantee that RHEL 7.7 will ever be supported in leapp.

7.7 or 7.7 EUS, both would be fine. An upgrade test from a simple 7.7 (not EUS) installation with "export LEAPP_SKIP_CHECK_OS_RELEASE=true" worked, I found no issue yet. The development of leapp seems fine, is the QA process at Red Hat lacking behind?

Hello, In-place upgrade from RHEL 7.7 is not planned, see the article at https://access.redhat.com/articles/4263361 that Michael mentioned above. As far as I know, the development is currently focused on extending Leapp's capabilities.

We have all our servers at 7.7 no one told us that we were stucked at 7.7 when installing it. We do plan to migrate to redhat 8 in the future and reinstall all the machines with 8 instead of upgrading seems imposible. Why its not enabled?

Having the same problem here. More than 600 servers running RHEL 7.7 and none of them can be upgraded to RHEL 8? I just don't understand...

Same here, we have many servers now stuck at 7.7. Doing a fresh install isn't scalable. Major issue for us. Why is this not supported?

I totally agree, this is a major issue for those already upgraded to 7.7. I cannot understand the reason behind that...

Hi, support for 7.7 is on our roadmap for the next release of Leapp.

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for that ! I suggest to include RHEL 7.8 (soon to get released) as well, otherwise this discussion won't stop. :)

Regards,
Christian

Any luck the with updated version of Leapp? when will it be available to download and install? We have around 100 machines running on 7.7 and need to upgrade them to RHEL 8.0. Can't afford to have new machines with fresh installation and then migrate services on it one by one. Simply not an option.

Hi ! :)

You may want to read this knowledgebase article : Supported in-place upgrade paths for Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Regards,
Christian

Hello all, The next planned upgrade path has changed, and it will be from RHEL 7.8 to RHEL 8.2. It will be available with RHEL 8.2 GA. Both RHEL 7.8 and RHEL 8.2 are now in Beta.

Best regards, Lenka

Thanks for the updated information, Lenka ! Much appreciated. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hello All, Both RHEL 7.8 and RHEL 8.2 are now in Beta, I believe which is not stable. When can we get stable version ?

Regards, Kazim.

Hello Kazim, Unfortunately, you need to wait until general availability of both versions. Best regards, Lenka

Adding to the comments above, I've tested/tried to upgrade latest RHEL7.8 with "Leapp" and it failed reporting that not supported (I would have tried from RHEL7.7). Hence, I tried to do from RHEL7.6 --> RHEL8.1 which worked. However, I'd like to mention that the upgrade process was not easy though. The system on which I tried to get this upgrade done was running in minimal mode without any extra third party applications or GUI tools installed, but still it was a long process. It took more time to complete and in first attempt I had failed and unable to recover it. Second attempt was smooth, though there were some hiccups it was successful. I had documented all this in my blog site, may be of some help https://www.simplylinuxfaq.com/2020/05/lets-upgrade-from-rhel7-to-rhel8.html

As per the official documentation https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html-single/upgrading_from_rhel_7_to_rhel_8/index, it should work from RHEL7.8 but not in my case. When I ran the "leapp preupgrade", it reported with an error stating un-supported version and can't perform upgrade. Has anyone got success in upgrading from RHEL7.8 --> RHEL8.2 using leapp?

Hi Sadashiva,

Thanks for testing the upgrade, and thanks for putting this together, and sharing it with our community !
Well done my friend, a great piece of work - the results once again confirm what I generally recommend :

Perform a fresh installation when a new major edition is available ... too many things may go wrong when
upgrading from one major edition to the next ... and it might take a very long time to repair everything. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Sadashiva,

Good day.

I upgraded my laptop from RHEL7.8 (GUI, Develop tools, 3rd rpms , wine etc ...) to RHEL8.2 successfully with leapp version as below , everything works fine.

python2-leapp-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch leapp-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch leapp-repository-deps-el8-5.0.0-100.202004161145Z.de6626f.master.el8.noarch leapp-deps-el8-5.0.0-100.202004161145Z.de6626f.master.el8.noarch

leapp-repository-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch

Regards, Sam

Thank you Sam. Let me try again with RHEL7.8 and check. I had noticed that the leapp package which got loaded on RHEL7.8 was not the one that you had mentioned, it was a bit old. Let me check if those packages would get updated now.

Hi Sadashiva,

Good day. I tried to upgrade from RHEL7.8 to RHEL8.2 again via VM. It works well too. A quick info as below for your reference.

1. before
[root@rhel7to8 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release 
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.8 (Maipo)

[root@rhel7to8 ~]# uname -a
Linux rhel7to8 3.10.0-1127.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Feb 18 16:39:12 EST 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root@rhel7to8 ~]# rpm -qa |grep leapp
leapp-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch
leapp-deps-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch
python2-leapp-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch
leapp-repository-deps-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch
cockpit-leapp-0.1.1-1.el7.noarch
2. procedure
[root@rhel7to8 ~]# time leapp preupgrade
[root@rhel7to8 ~]# time leapp upgrade
[root@rhel7to8 ~]# reboot
3. after
[root@rhel7to8 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 8.2 (Ootpa)

[root@rhel7to8 ~]# uname -a
Linux rhel7to8 4.18.0-193.el8.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Mar 27 14:35:58 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root@rhel7to8 ~]# rpm -qa |grep leapp
leapp-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch
leapp-repository-deps-el8-5.0.0-100.202004161145Z.de6626f.master.el8.noarch
python2-leapp-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch
cockpit-leapp-0.1.1-1.el7.noarch
leapp-deps-el8-5.0.0-100.202004161145Z.de6626f.master.el8.noarch

Regards, Sam

You are right Sam. Yesterday, I had run the 'leapp preupgrade' check on RHEL7.8 system and the workflow seems to be good compared to earlier run which was on RHEL7.6 system. Let me complete this and check how it works overall. Thanks again for your input.

I tried the leapp upgrade from RHEL7.8 --> RHEL8.2 and it worked. The workflow is good and straight process. But I could see one issue, this was observed earlier as well when the upgrade from RHEL7.6 to RHEL8.1 was performed. The password even for root user was broken and there was no way to login to system. So, I had break and reset it. I'm not sure if this is the case with other users who tried the upgrade.

I do not see "password broken" issue; everything works fine after i upgraded from RHEL7.8 to RHEL8.2. (I tried physical and VM nodes, both work well with the procedure)

Hello Sadashiva and all,

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Leapp was updated with the release of RHEL 8.2 - see https://access.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2020:1959, together with documentation.

RHEL 7.8 was available a little earlier than RHEL 8.2, but until RHEL 8.2 GA, the supported upgrade path was only from RHEL 7.6 EUS to RHEL 8.1. Sadashiva, your blog post quotes the old version of documentation, which was valid for the upgrade from RHEL 7.6 EUS to RHEL 8.1, and it was impossible to use it on a RHEL 7.8 system. So you probably tried the upgrade between the releases of RHEL 7.8 and RHEL 8.2. And maybe assumed the documentation was outdated? But it was not, we cannot support upgrades to a pre-GA version.

Note that we always coordinate publishing the documentation along with the release. With RHEL 8.2 GA, a new version of Leapp in RHEL 7 Extras was released, and the updated documentation was published. So you always need the most recent packages and documentation.

This discussion inspired me to add the currently required version of Leapp to the documentation (the step about installing Leapp): https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/upgrading_from_rhel_7_to_rhel_8/preparing-a-rhel-7-system-for-the-upgrade_upgrading-from-rhel-7-to-rhel-8

I hope double-checking will prevent some of the problems in case you have installed Leapp previously.

Regarding the broken password issue, I can only recommend you to open a support case, so that engineers can find the root cause of the problem.

Kind regards, Lenka from the documentation team

Thank you for clarification - and for the updated information, Lenka ! :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Lenka,

Yes, I too tested the "leapp upgrade" from RHEL7.8 --> RHEL8.2 and it was quite smooth compared to the earlier upgrade path. Thanks for your valuable information. Since password broken is not a major hurdle, I'd say it is not worth to open a support case. Anyways, thanks for all the support again.

The upgrade path for RHEL 7.8 to 8.2 is smooth. I would also expect proper repos to be included as part of the documentation, like RHEL 8.2 BaseOS, Appstream and Supplementary ones. Also, making /var file system with "exec" permission is another requirement.

Hi, I wonder how to get leapp without using subscription-manager to upgrade 7.8 to 8.2. I have download all listed programs as Xinhua Li. but i can't install leapp with error :

rpm -ivh leapp-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch.rpm leapp-repository-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch.rpm python2-leapp-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch.rpm warning: leapp-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID fd431d51: NOKEY error: Failed dependencies: leapp-repository-dependencies = 5 is needed by leapp-repository-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch

why?

Hi Paul. You need to download and install the leapp-repository-deps package as well (https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/leapp-repository-deps/noarch/package-latest). This package provides the leapp-repository-dependencies capability.

hi Michal, thanks. I have download lots. but i am not sure when i can get the full set programs for installing reapp without system-regester. pls advise me. rpm -ivh \ leapp-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch.rpm \ leapp-repository-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch.rpm \ python2-leapp-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch.rpm \ leapp-repository-deps-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch.rpm \ dnf-4.0.9.2-1.el7_6.noarch.rpm \ python2-dnf-4.0.9.2-1.el7_6.noarch.rpm \ dnf-data-4.0.9.2-1.el7_6.noarch.rpm \ libmodulemd-1.6.3-1.el7.x86_64.rpm \ python-enum34-1.0.4-1.el7.noarch.rpm \ python2-hawkey-0.22.5-1.el7_6.x86_64.rpm \ python2-libcomps-0.1.8-14.el7.x86_64.rpm \ python2-libdnf-0.22.5-1.el7_6.x86_64.rpm

there are more errors:

warning: leapp-0.10.0-2.el7_8.noarch.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID fd431d51: NOKEY error: Failed dependencies: libdnf(x86-64) = 0.22.5-1.el7_6 is needed by python2-hawkey-0.22.5-1.el7_6.x86_64 libdnf.so.2()(64bit) is needed by python2-hawkey-0.22.5-1.el7_6.x86_64 librepo.so.0()(64bit) is needed by python2-hawkey-0.22.5-1.el7_6.x86_64 librhsm.so.0()(64bit) is needed by python2-hawkey-0.22.5-1.el7_6.x86_64 libsolv.so.0()(64bit) is needed by python2-hawkey-0.22.5-1.el7_6.x86_64 libsolv.so.0(SOLV_1.0)(64bit) is needed by python2-hawkey-0.22.5-1.el7_6.x86_64 libsolvext.so.0()(64bit) is needed by python2-hawkey-0.22.5-1.el7_6.x86_64 libsolvext.so.0(SOLV_1.0)(64bit) is needed by python2-hawkey-0.22.5-1.el7_6.x86_64 libcomps(x86-64) = 0.1.8-14.el7 is needed by python2-libcomps-0.1.8-14.el7.x86_64 libcomps.so.0.1.6()(64bit) is needed by python2-libcomps-0.1.8-14.el7.x86_64 libdnf(x86-64) = 0.22.5-1.el7_6 is needed by python2-libdnf-0.22.5-1.el7_6.x86_64 libdnf.so.2()(64bit) is needed by python2-libdnf-0.22.5-1.el7_6.x86_64 librepo.so.0()(64bit) is needed by python2-libdnf-0.22.5-1.el7_6.x86_64 librhsm.so.0()(64bit) is needed by python2-libdnf-0.22.5-1.el7_6.x86_64 libsolv.so.0()(64bit) is needed by python2-libdnf-0.22.5-1.el7_6.x86_64 libsolvext.so.0()(64bit) is needed by python2-libdnf-0.22.5-1.el7_6.x86_64

I think you are missing at least the libdnf libsolv and libcomps packages.

hi Michael,

I noted that t lots of packages are missed as i chosen to upgrade in house without subscription during the insallation of leapp. i wonder whether we can download the whole packages directly to my local HD and install leapp?

thanks in advance!

Supplementary question. I watched a demo by Redhat where they upgraded from Satellite server. I don't seem to be able to find any documentation on that. Anyone got any experience of using that?

Hi Gary,

I am still waiting for the documentation update, until now all my attempts to do a leapp in-place upgrade using Satellite failed.

The release notes for RH Satellite 6.8 beta show that it will be simplified to run leapp from RH Satellite.

I hope it will get available in RH Satellite 6.8 GA.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Hello RHEL Support Team,

Can it be possible to do a in-place upgrade of RHEL7.7 to RHEL8.2 ? If not then what all other options available to upgrade to RHEL8.2 from RHEL7.7

with best wishes Rajesh Solanki

Hi Rajesh,

You reached out to the customer forum.

For support cases that you have to go the support page

IHMO you can only do a in-place upgrade from 7.8 to 8.2.

So you first need to upgrade 7.7 to 7.8 via yum.

then apply leapp to go to 8.2

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

I am getting follownig error in " leapp preupgrade". Any suggestion ?

020-11-23 17:28:36.495280 [ERROR] Actor: target_userspace_creator Message: Unable to use yum successfully Summary: Details: Command ['systemd-nspawn', '--register=no', '--quiet', '-D', '/var/lib/leapp/scratch/mounts/root_/system_overlay', '--bind=/etc/hosts:/etc/hosts', '--setenv=LEAPP_NO_RHSM=0', '--setenv=LEAPP_EXPERIMENTAL=0', '--setenv=LEAPP_COMMON_TOOLS=:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/el7toel8/tools', '--setenv=LEAPP_COMMON_FILES=:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/el7toel8/files', '--setenv=LEAPP_UNSUPPORTED=0', '--setenv=LEAPP_EXECUTION_ID=2ef13ac0-caaa-402c-98d7-a73997b52457', '--setenv=LEAPP_HOSTNAME=xbuildtest1.genmills.com', 'yum', 'clean', 'all'] failed with exit code 1. Stderr: Host and machine ids are equal (5196e40115c0486eb49c84bfdced5a4f): refusing to link journals There are no enabled repos. Run "yum repolist all" to see the repos you have. To enable Red Hat Subscription Management repositories: subscription-manager repos --enable To enable custom repositories: yum-config-manager --enable

It is essential to have at least one repository enabled. As per the error:

There are no enabled repos. Run "yum repolist all" to see the repos you have. To enable Red Hat Subscription Management repositories: subscription-manager repos --enable To enable custom repositories: yum-config-manager --enable

!rhel-7-server-extras-rpms/x86_64 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server - Extras (RPMs) enabled: 1,349

!rhel-7-server-optional-rpms/x86_64 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server - Optional (RPMs) enabled: 22,302

!rhel-7-server-rh-common-rpms/x86_64 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server - RH Common (RPMs) enabled: 243

!rhel-7-server-rpms/x86_64 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server (RPMs) enabled: 30,967

!rhel-7-server-satellite-tools-6.3-rpms/x86_64 Red Hat Satellite Tools 6.3 (for RHEL 7 Server) (RPMs) enabled: 96

!rhel-7-server-satellite-tools-6.5-rpms/x86_64 Red Hat Satellite Tools 6.5 (for RHEL 7 Server) (RPMs) disabled

!rhel-sap-for-rhel-7-server-rpms/x86_64 Red Hat Enterprise Linux for SAP (RHEL 7 Server) (RPMs) disabled

!rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms/x86_64 Red Hat Software Collections RPMs for Red Hat Enterprise Li enabled: 12,823

Thanks for the update. This has been a long shot to try to unblock you right away. In this case, I recommend to open a support case - https://access.redhat.com/support/ - and provide a sosreport for further investigation. Thank you.