How can I install Red Hat OpenJDK 8 on Ubuntu?

Latest response

How can I install Red Hat OpenJDK 8 on Ubuntu?

Responses

Hi Ritesh,

Not sure if this would be covered by the license agreement - but let me ask : Why do you want to do it ?
OpenJDK (8) is open source software, and the packages are available in the ubuntu repositories, so ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

Thank you for your response. Most of our customers are using Ubuntu and some are using Red Hat Linux. With no more Oracle Java 8 security updates, we want to migrate to Open JDK 8. In various forums I read I discovered that Red Hat provides updates for Open JDK 8 until June 2023 whereas Ubuntu only provides updates until April 2021. I assume therefore that this means these are different Open JDK 8 builds (i.e. Red Hat and Ubuntu will have different builds).

Since Red Hat will provide updates for a longer time than Ubuntu, we would like to go with the Red Hat Open JDK 8 even for Ubuntu customers. We cannot afford to support 2 different Open JDK 8 versions on our product.

Hi Ritesh,

Red Hat provides .rpm packages and ubuntu provides .deb packages.
What you can do is, download the source code and compile it yourself. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

Thank you for the help. Can you also confirm if my understanding is correct (that these are 2 different JDKs not just in tersms of the builds but also in terms of updates - that one is Red Hat Open JDK 8 and the other is Ubuntu Open JDK 8)? Is that understanding correct?

Hi Ritesh,

Both are based on upstream OpenJDK ... the difference in the future will be (from my understanding) that if Red Hat discovers a security issue, they provide a new modified
version, which you would need to compile again. My recommendation still would be to
stick with the ubuntu packages on ubuntu, and with the Red Hat packages on RHEL. :)

Regards,
Christian

Seems best just to convince the customers to use RHEL :)

Yes Stephen, that would be the best option. But as we know, most customers don't like to change "things" ... :)