RHEL 7.6 Workstation Installation regarding

Latest response

Hi all,
I am trying to install RHEL 7.6 WS, where I need to select one of the three options like GNOME Desktop/ KDE Plasma Workspaces/ Development and Creative Workstation.
Can any body guide me how they are different from each other. Any any link.

Thanks in advance
Srikanth

Responses

Since I have never tried the WS version of RHEL, I cannot comment on the details of the packages available under each option. Having said that, if you have used Linux on your laptop or desktop before, most probably you would have run either GNOME or KDE desktop. These are two of the most popular desktop environment available on Linux apart from many others. For more info, check the project home of each of these desktop environments - GNOME and KDE. The third option would include a bunch of tools commonly used by developers and content/multimedia creators. It would most probably have GNOME desktop to go with it.

Thank you Lungten Wangchuk for your response. I actually went with the 3rd option and installed. It has got NVIDIA Quadro P2000 graphics card. What I see is the system response is bit slower compared to my other RHEL 7.3 WorkStaion with the same configuration and with NVIDIA Quadro P420 graphics card in it. My doubt is whether the slow response is because of graphics card or the Environment what I have selected? or the RHEL 6 w.r.t RHEL 7.3 ?

Hi Suryanarayana,

In addition to what Lungten nicely explained, I recommend to install the GNOME desktop environment - it is the default desktop environment for RHEL and deeply integrated into the system. KDE is an optional offering which will be deprecated in the coming editions of RHEL. The GNOME desktop comes with a bunch of useful applications pre-installed. Regarding other software groups
I suggest that you install only applications you need separately afterwards. I wish you a great experience with your new system. :)

Regards,
Christian

Thank you Christian Labisch for your response. I actually went with the 3rd option and installed. I thought 3rd option would be ideal for catering a good development environment. It has got NVIDIA Quadro P2000 graphics card. What I see is the system response is bit slower compared to my other RHEL 7.3 WorkStaion with the same configuration and with NVIDIA Quadro P420 graphics card in it. My doubt is whether the slow response is because of graphics card or the Environment what I have selected? or the RHEL 6 w.r.t RHEL 7.3 ? Thank you for the wishes.

You can install both KDE and GNOME and then change between them. I have multiple computers at work, and have GNOME on most of them, and KDE on at least one just for my own awareness and to be able to help others who deal with it.

There are plenty of discussions outside this forum on the merits on the different desktop environments. You will also find "Mate" and "Cinnamon" as alternatives. Some are found in "EPEL" which means they exist but are not supported for Red Hat. Red Hat Linux offers the most embraced KDE and GNOME because Red Hat tends to be more on a "production" perspective. If you use Fedora Linux, you'll find plenty of other choices of desktop environments including many we've not even mentioned in this specific discussion.

Regards

RJ

Thank you Hinton for your response. I actually went with the 3rd option and installed. I thought 3rd option would be ideal for catering a good development environment. Thanks for the information you gave. I would like to know how we can change from one enviorn to the other dynamically. And to compare to the system response time (fastness) ,do we have any method to check it? and finally how is RHEL 7.6 compared to RHEL 7.3? Thank you in advance.