How to create a repo without subscription.

Latest response

Hi,

Can we create a repo without subscription? I know epel can be created but, does it have all the same parameters as others.
As I am trying to Install Gnome desktop, development tools and all the other related packages for NVIDIA drivers.
Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks in advance-Prem

Responses

Hello Prem,

Please find my answer in the other thread you created.

If you are not going to buy a subscription or choose to use a development subscription for non production usage I would recommend using CentOS 7 instead of RHEL.

For your question about epel, please have a look at: What is Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux (or EPEL)?

When looking for NVIDIA drivers I just learned to use ELrepo and start with nvidia-detect.

I'll hope I could be of some help here.

Best regards, Joerg K.

Edit: Fixed links.

Thank you for the response Jorg.

I guess even rhel has elrepo. If elrepo has the belonging packages for NVIDIA then I can try RHEL instead of CentOS.

Thanks

Hi Prem,

Please be aware that in order to use RHEL you need a valid subscription. EPEL and ELrepo only provides additional packages for RHEL but do not (in most cases) replace originally ones from the RHEL repos.

I would strongly advise to use some sort of 'online' repository in order to get updates, security fixes and erratas. Please see what R. Hinton said about it here.

If you do not want to acquire a subscription I would recommend using CentOS 7. A small comparison of RHEL and CentOS you could find here.

Best regards,
Joerg

Edit: Fixed links.

Thanks for the response Jorg.

Hi Jörg, just for your information : the first link in your first response is broken, you may want to check/correct it. :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks Christian. I just fixed it.

Great, you're welcome, Jörg ! :)