RHEL 8 Final Release

Latest response

Hi, is there ETA on a release date on the final, non beta version of RHEL 8? Thanks! :)

Responses

Hi GD,

Welcome back ... do you appreciate humor ? If yes : "It's ready when it's ready !" ... Now sincerely :
Red Hat generally doesn't provide any pre-information about when new software gets released. :)
Main focus is absolute stability, so the developers take all the time they need before they release.

Regards,
Christian

Hi, thanks for your reply, I was not sure if there is a release timeline like with Fedora. No worries, I am patient, and will be waiting for RHEL 8. :)

You're welcome, GD ! No, there is no time line, fedora is a different thing - it is the "lab" for RHEL.
Main focus here is testing new features which later get included in RHEL. Even though fedora has normally a release cycle of +/- six months, they currently discuss to changing it to 12 months ... :)

Regards,
Christian

That's interesting. I for one would welcome a 12 month release cycle for Fedora. Maybe at 12 months they could go back to code names for the releases too ;)

Hi Ian, to some extend I agree - 12 months would be a suitable release cycle. Although it doesn't matter much these days, the fedora project streamlined the upgrade process so perfectly that it became very convenient to always be on a current release. And for those who prefer to live even
more on the bleeding edge, they are having the option to switch to rawhide. Oh, and those code names ... my 2 cents : better have a great system without code name than the other way around.

Cheers :)
Christian

"It's ready when it's ready !" Best Answer!! And good to hear!

HaHaHa ... :D :D :D

I calculate that RHEL 6 was about 7 months between the first beta and final release, and RHEL 7 was about 6 months, so if RHEL 8 follows a similar pattern that would mean a release in May or June, though of course it could be earlier or later depending on bugs to solve and polishing required. Also RHEL 6 had a second beta after 2 months which was revised a month later and RHEL 7 had a release candidate after 4 months so we might get further testing releases before the final release.

Hi Michael,

I think we can't use a pattern to calculate the release date - because every release has its "special bugs" to get
resolved. And in case of RHEL 8 we have a completely new approach (Application Streams) to the "repository
model" and this might take more time to get it working reliably without issues. Anyway, we'll see and as I said :
It's ready when it's ready. :)

Regards,
Christian

But if every release has its "special bugs" then surely they will add similar delays, which means the calculations are still reasonable. Actually I do know that Application Streams could be interesting to stabilize because I have followed the development on the Fedora side and know the initial plan for it didn't work, and that related issues were still being fixed in dnf (ie. yum in RHEL8) just before Fedora 29 was released. Thus it wouldn't surprise me that the whole RHEL8 schedule slipped by at least 6 months long before the beta was released, but only the bugs that haven't been already fixed in the first beta really matter for the gap between it and the final release.

Yes Michael, you are right (I'm following the evolution of fedora modularity too), but I don't get
what you want to tell us or what you want to achieve with what you say, because Jamie already
confirmed the information of my first response above, he said : "We do have an internal release
target but for major releases we don't make it available at all." There's not much more to add. :)

Regards,
Christian

I am not trying to get you to give a release target because I know we won't get one (people have been asking this sort of thing for years for past releases and I don't think it has ever resulted in a date), but I do hope that others might find my comments interesting, and my estimates of timescales might be useful. And I do agree that if the release date slips then Application Streams are the most likely cause, but I also hope that the bugs in it have largely been resolved already.

Thanks for clarification, Michael ! Yes, the information you're providing is useful. Thanks for that
too. I share your hopes, that most of the important show stoppers have already been resolved. :)

Regards,
Christian

And you're probably correct Christian. That being said, I predict (without offering any proof, and no proof available) that it will be released sometime in May and this summer... again, no proof.

If I'm wrong, I'll buy you a beverage of your choice at whatever Red Hat summit we attend.

RJ

Thanks for your offering, RJ ! Well, speculation brings some kinda fun to the house ... :D :D :D

Christian

I still think my prediction will likely be true. We shall see. Offer still stands Christian.

RJ

I think (assume) so too, RJ ... that's why I replied to Jan Gerrit on March, 29th :
Red Hat Summit 2019 (May 7–9) might bring some "hot-top-news" ? Cheers :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi,

Well said Michael and Christian.

I am sure everybody would like to see RHEL 8 in full power as soon as possible. Patience is required though.

Better to wait a bit longer than rely on famous doctor's defense:

Operation successful but patient died

Regards,

Dusan Baljevic (amateur radio VK2COT)

This analogy made me laugh. It holds true.

"Operation successful, but patient dead" ... hahaha ... nice, Dusan - I appreciate your sense of humor ! :D :D :D

Regards,
Christian

Perhaps a date will appear on this page at some point - Red Hat Enterprise Linux Release Dates.

Press F5 to refresh daily.

We do have an internal release target but for major releases we don't make it available at all.

That is why past release timings are useful. As it looks like RHEL6 slipped a month due to the revised second beta I would say an initial release target of 6 months after the first public beta is a reasonable assumption.

All,

Request: Please put your generic responses at the end of a discussion. Not somewhere in the middle. Makes the thread more readable.

Hint: Even a Product Owner of Red Hat product knows will tell you that after the GA release what the date was. At the day before the release he/she still tells you it is eminent, for a major bug may delay the release at the last minute.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra, just a customer as you all.

Hi Jan Gerrit,

What about heating up the discussion a bit ? Red Hat Summit 2019 (May 7–9) might bring some "hot-top-news" ? :D

Christian

I originally thought the plan might be to announce the release at or around the time of the Red Hat Summit which would have fitted a 6 month gap from the first beta, but am thinking June or July now, though we might get another beta or a release version near the Summit.

I heard something about this today the RHCE news. https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/announcing-evolution-red-hat-certified-engineer-program

Thanks for posting that Oluwagbenga Ajakaye - I made a post on this https://access.redhat.com/discussions/4054161 and thanked you in that post.

Cant download 8beta iso anymore, so Release candidates to NDA customers right now? and Redhat summit 2019 is early May, I wonder.....

It was still there when I looked just now, and still dated 2019-01-15 (which as far as I can tell was an installer only update 2 months after the original public beta release). It would be a plausible time for a public release candidate to appear though, and I can't see them taking down the public beta except to replace it with something later. I also don't think that limited NDA releases (other than Red Hat internal testing releases) would make much sense at this stage.

Hi Steven,

I can confirm what Michael says ... the RHEL 8 Beta ISO from 2019-01-15 is still there - so nothing has changed. :)

Regards,
Christian

How do we install Nvidia drivers in RHEL 8?

Hi Philip,

You can install the original NVIDIA drivers the same way as you you install them in RHEL 7 ... if you want to install
the drivers from RPM Fusion, you have to wait until the final RHEL 8 edition will be officially released of course. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Philip,

for all extra hardware related stuff on RHEL (e.g. for latest mainline kernel along with the official RHEl kernel and proprietary graphics drivers such as Nvidia), I have always been stuck with ELrepo (see http://elrepo.org or https://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/ respectively). They do already have an EL8 directory, which - however - will only be filled up soon..;-)

Regards, Günther

Hi Guenther,

What do you mean with "I have always been stuck" ? That normally would mean "it never worked
for me ...". I guess you wanted to say that "you've always been using ELRepo" - is this correct ? :)

Regards,
Christian

I think there is a difference in the meaning between "I have been stuck" and "I have got stuck".... Anyway, if I had got stuck with ELRepo, I would certainly not have recommended it in this context here. ;-)

I agree with you, Guenther ... ELRepo is a good source and I can recommend to using it too ! :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

after I had seen a "Guru" recommending the RPMFusion repo for packages providing additional hardware support, I had to interfere and recommend ELRepo instead. ;-) While ELRepo does not depend on any other external repo (aside from the main RHEL repo), RPMFusion is mostly being used only for multimedia addons on Fedora and RHEL based distributions. In case of RHEL based distributions, it even depends on another external repo - namely EPEL. Furthermore, the response time of RPMFusion in terms of available software updates and bug fixes is "not the best" according to my experience. This may usually not be critical for multimedia stuff but certainly for hardware drivers....

Cheers, Günther

Hi Guenther,

I have to disagree, what you say about RPM Fusion is not (longer) true. Have you checked it
lately ? You will find the latest stable NVIDIA drivers and even the proprietary BROADCOM
WLAN drivers
. EPEL (fedora) and RPM Fusion are the external software repositories, which
have the closest connection with Red Hat. Also - and not unimportant - when you install the
NVIDIA drivers being packaged by RPM Fusion, you have the alternative option to boot with
the open source drivers out-of-the-box. Isn't that an advantage ? Anyway - I've tested many
different drivers from different sources and everyone can choose the method they prefer ...

The "Guru" recommends the most easy and convenient installation method for (new) users.
Good and professional support does not mean showing own capabilities - IMHO at least ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Not just an EL8 directory, but there are actually some packages in ELRepo's EL8 testing directory. :)

https://elrepo.org/linux/testing/el8/x86_64/RPMS/

I agree with the other Chris. I think the Summit next week will give us more information about the GA release date.

I wouldn't expect a definite GA release at the Summit as Red Hat don't pre-announce releases and I doubt RHEL8 is ready yet, but there might be rough indications of the time scale and the Summit would be a good time to announce another beta or a release candidate.

Michael Young, On April 15th 2014, Red Hat made a Release Candidate of RHEL 7 (not GA, but just a Release Candidate) which was during the 2014 Red Hat Summit.

Regards

RJ

Looks like RHEL 8 is being released.

Yes, that looks true. I could see that they have event scheduled on May 17 regarding this: https://events.redhat.com/profile/form/index.cfm?PKformID=0x470830001

Anyone interested could register using the web link for the event. Not sure, if this is available as webinar which could be viewed online.

They are certainly putting out security advisories for it, see for example https://access.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2019:0990

It looks like it was made available back in April month (not noticed): https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/479/ver=/rhel---8/8.0/x86_64/product-software

If you look at the 'Last modified' date it says '2019-04-11'. Let's download and see how it works..

How and where did you find this download link, Sadashiva ? In my account still RHEL 7.6 is offered as latest. :)

Regards,
Christian

Christian, you would need to select 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux for x86_64' as product then you would get to see RHEL8.0 as available for download.

Thank you, Sadashiva ! Indeed ... found it ... I had looked at Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server. :)

Regards,
Christian

Pages