Does RHEL 8 Beta support Docker

Latest response

I have been using Docker in RHEL 7 for some time now and was looking to test my docker containers on RHEL 8 Beta, but I can't see how to install it, and none of the documents seem to discus installing Docker.

Do I need to use a different product such as Atomic?

Responses

I don't think you'll want docker with rhel8. Red Hat replaces docker with cri-o/podman. You can run the same containers though.

I don't think the Docker community fully agrees with that statement :) .. For now, expect Docker packages for RHEL8 to show up when RHEL8 hits the Release Candidate stage.

Hi Martijn,

Are you sure ? :)

You may want to read this : Is the docker package available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8?

Quote : "The docker package is not shipped or supported by Red Hat for Red Hat Enterprise
Linux (RHEL) 8. The docker container engine is replaced by a suite of tools in the Container
Tools module."

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

That's absolutely true for the Docker packages that ship with EL/Atomic. (e.g., these docker packages: https://access.redhat.com/articles/2317361)

I my previous comment, I was referring to the Docker CE and Docker EE packages that are made available via the Docker and Moby projects.

.. and of course: CRI-O/Podman are perfect out-of-the-box alternatives

Rgrds, Martijn

Hi Martijn,

Thanks for clarification ... I'm not sure ... but I think one can't use the Docker Community Edition
on RHEL, I recall having read that you need a subscription to make use of the Docker Enterprise
Edition. Well, I mean that you need a separate subscription from Docker. Or am I wrong here ? :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

You're absolutely right about that. Docker Enterprise Edition requires a separate subscription from Docker Inc. .. in addition to a RHEL subscription. It's definitely not the cheapest option in running Containers in a supported way :).

Rgrds, Martijn

Thank you for confirming it, Martijn ... so let's use the built-in container tools from Red Hat. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Neil,

Please check out the product documentation for buildah / podman / skopeo : Building, running, and managing containers
The tools buildah / podman / skopeo are the replacement for docker in RHEL 8 and - they can be run without a daemon. :)

Regards,
Christian

I suggest reading this article that introduces how Podman/Buildah can readily replace Docker:

Containers without daemons: Podman and Buildah available in RHEL 7.6 and RHEL 8 Beta
https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/11/20/buildah-podman-containers-without-daemons/

Thanks for the input everyone, we use a lot of docker where we work.

You're welcome, RJ ! :)

You're welcome. I (and others) would welcome your feedback on your Podman/Buildah usage.

Not a supported procedure but for now you can easily install docker on RHEL 8 using CentOS docker packages.

Hi Tomas,

Although this might be a technical workaround, it is not recommend to apply it ... especially not on a production system - customers may loose official support when they install the broken dependency package containerd.io. :)

Regards,
Christian

Here's a new article you may find helpful: Podman and Buildah for docker users

https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2019/02/21/podman-and-buildah-for-docker-users/

Hi all! I am a QE member of Thorntail team. We are using RHEL 7 and RHEL 8 to check everything works as expected, an we use docker in some test case.

RHEL 8 tests are failing due to unavailability of docker in this RHEL version. Can't docker be added to RHEL8? It is important from QE perspective.

Thanks.

Hi Juan,

I'm afraid we can't help you - we are a community portal ... but you can place a feature request on bugzilla. :)

Regards,
Christian

I see two options here: either adapt the test code to use the "podman" command on RHEL 8 (do an OS version check first, set a variable like $DOCKER_CMD to either /usr/bin/docker or /usr/bin/podman as appropriate), or wait for RHEL 8.0 GA release. Since Fedora 29 still includes a docker.rpm package, I would expect that the EPEL 8 repository will include 'docker' as well. Also, after RHEL 8.0 GA, it is likely that Docker themselves will release Docker(R)(tm) CE & EE packages for RHEL 8. (Note: this is entirely educated guesswork on my part, but is based on past behavior at least in the case of Fedora & EPEL. The safest option of course is to adapt to using either 'docker' or 'podman' as the command-line tool).

There is also the podman-docker package which provides a /usr/bin/docker script allowing podman to pretend to be docker.

Hi Michael,

"Pretending to be docker" ... just for those not being familiar with the new container solution :
The script is only provided for those users who still want to "type" docker, and this means that
when you execute a docker command, in reality you run podman of course, and not docker ! :)

Regards,
Christian

I doubt it as Docker have no CE for RHEL7.

Hi Steven,

What Michael said might be a bit misleading ... there is no docker CE installed, you run podman. :)

Regards,
Christian

Seems Docker is making it harder these days to install a community version. I used the Centos7 packages of CE on RHEL7 a while back, I assume that still works.

Hi Steven,

If you still want to use docker on RHEL, you have to purchase a docker enterprise edition license, that is the
correct way legal wise. I suggest to use the Red Hat container tools instead ... they are included in the RHEL subscription. :)

Regards,
Christian

You can install Docker CE on Rhel8 perfectly fine. The only real issue is that the new yum tries to stop you from installing. Docker will 100% support and install! the work around is to install with --nobest in the yum statement.

For anyone reading this. You can continue to use Docker CE on Rhel 8. Don't take my work for it : https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-docker-in-rhel-8