Does RHEL 8 Beta support Docker

Latest response

I have been using Docker in RHEL 7 for some time now and was looking to test my docker containers on RHEL 8 Beta, but I can't see how to install it, and none of the documents seem to discus installing Docker.

Do I need to use a different product such as Atomic?

Responses

I don't think you'll want docker with rhel8. Red Hat replaces docker with cri-o/podman. You can run the same containers though.

I don't think the Docker community fully agrees with that statement :) .. For now, expect Docker packages for RHEL8 to show up when RHEL8 hits the Release Candidate stage.

Hi Martijn,

Are you sure ? :)

You may want to read this : Is the docker package available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8?

Quote : "The docker package is not shipped or supported by Red Hat for Red Hat Enterprise
Linux (RHEL) 8. The docker container engine is replaced by a suite of tools in the Container
Tools module."

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

That's absolutely true for the Docker packages that ship with EL/Atomic. (e.g., these docker packages: https://access.redhat.com/articles/2317361)

I my previous comment, I was referring to the Docker CE and Docker EE packages that are made available via the Docker and Moby projects.

.. and of course: CRI-O/Podman are perfect out-of-the-box alternatives

Rgrds, Martijn

Hi Martijn,

Thanks for clarification ... I'm not sure ... but I think one can't use the Docker Community Edition
on RHEL, I recall having read that you need a subscription to make use of the Docker Enterprise
Edition. Well, I mean that you need a separate subscription from Docker. Or am I wrong here ? :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

You're absolutely right about that. Docker Enterprise Edition requires a separate subscription from Docker Inc. .. in addition to a RHEL subscription. It's definitely not the cheapest option in running Containers in a supported way :).

Rgrds, Martijn

Thank you for confirming it, Martijn ... so let's use the built-in container tools from Red Hat. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Neil,

Please check out the product documentation for buildah / podman / skopeo : Building, running, and managing containers
The tools buildah / podman / skopeo are the replacement for docker in RHEL 8 and - they can be run without a daemon. :)

Regards,
Christian

I suggest reading this article that introduces how Podman/Buildah can readily replace Docker:

Containers without daemons: Podman and Buildah available in RHEL 7.6 and RHEL 8 Beta
https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/11/20/buildah-podman-containers-without-daemons/

Thanks for the input everyone, we use a lot of docker where we work.

You're welcome, RJ ! :)

You're welcome. I (and others) would welcome your feedback on your Podman/Buildah usage.